Chapter Fourteen

Unedited.

"And....well he was pretty much....scattered... everywhere." Sophie finished.

Fitz looked pale but he looked to be processing the words. "So...he is gone." He said. Sophie nodded, "He is." She said. Finally being able to tell someone about Lucifer felt good. "It's just hard to get over." Sophie said. Fitz nodded, "Understandable." He agreed as he kissed her hand. The sound of rain falling on the roof of the house was a welcoming sound.

"I'll be right down the hall, so just transmit if you need anything." Fitz said leaning forward and kissing Sophie goodnight. "Thanks." Sophie said after he pulled away. Fitz smiled before turning off the lights and leaving her room. Sophie heard him open and close his room door a moment later. Taking a deep breath Sophie closed her eyes.

A crack of thunder jerked Sophie out of her nightmare. Her room was dark, Sophie got chills, was someone watching her? Turning on the lights she looked around her empty room, but the chill didn't go away.

Without thinking, Sophi slid out of her bed, her ankle was stiff, and her knee sore. She limped to her room door. "Ah." She gasped as a stab of pain went up her ankle, straight to her knee. She limped and stumbled down the hall and opened the door.

The outline of the bed was clear, and Sophie could see a lump underneath. "Fitz!" She hissed quietly as she used the door way to balance as she stepped in the room. The lump didn't move. "Fitz." She said again as she limped farther into the room.

She stopped. What was she doing? This was stupidly, it was just a stupid nightmare. Already turning to retreat to her room, another clap of thunder made Sophie yelp and stumble. Just breathe. She told herself it's just a storm not an explosion. "Sophie?" Came a sleepy accented voice. "What's wrong?" He asked sounding more awake. Sophie faced him, he had propped himself up on his elbow and was frowning.

A crack of thunder sent an image of rock tumbling into Lucifer's face. Sophie jumped as her body stiffened. Just a storm. She chanted in her head. "I'm... Fi-"

"Come here." Fitz interrupted her, lifting part of the heavy blanket. Sophie limped over and slid under the warm covers. "Hhmm." Fitz mumbled as he cocooned Sophie in the warmth of part of the blankets. "I'll b-be o-oka-" Sophi chattered, only to be cut off by rumbling thunder. She jumped, just a storm, just a storm, just a storm. She continued to chant in her mind, a storm was caused by electrons and...her mind refused to call up any other facts about storms as the memory of Lucifer entered her mind.

Talking so clearly, speaking so intelligently, the cold look in the dark eyes. Sophie shivered, as she curled up in a ball. She was at the very edge of the bed, and her shaking threatened to make her spill off. A warm arm wrapped around her and pulled her across the cool sheets that got even warmer, as Fitz moved back, so she could take the warm spot he had created. Fitz didn't say anything as he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her impossibly close to him.

Fitz held her, as he drew circles onto her arms, signaling that he was awake with her, he didn't speak as he held her. Sophie's shaking didn't stop for a while, but it gradually ceased and when she was finally able to remain still, Fitz transmitted softly.

"You're safe." His voice was clear and gentle, "I got you. You're safe." The words stilled Sophie's twisting nerves, instantly they seemed to start unwinding. Her muscles unclenched. "Sleep." The word was like magic, the moment Sophie heard it, her consciousness sunk into dark oblivion. No dreams, no sound, or smell.

~

The next day Sophie woke, by Iggy's chainsaw snoring. Had last night all been a dream? She wondered, opening her eyes, she saw Iggy's cage set on a side dresser beside a door.