Chapter 33

"Morning," Grace knocked on the door. "You look tired,"

"I am. I didn't sleep all night," I rubbed my eyes to focus them on her.

"She's moving up a storm," Grace smiled. "The only reason why I came in here,"

I simply smiled at her because I know she missed me last night too. I let her guide my hand to where my princess is moving. My hand rested where she pushed up. "Hey baby," I smiled.

"Jesus," Grace breathed. "She's killing me," Baby girl started kicking like crazy once my hand was on her.

"Grace, we need to talk about California," I said.

She kissed her teeth. "I told you I'm not-"

"You can go if that's what you want to do," As much as it pains me to say that, I'm going to let her go. I don't know how I'm going to function without her but if it keeps our kids safe then she can go.

"Are you leaving me?" She looked scared.

I chuckled. "You're the one leaving," I pointed out. She hit my shoulder.

"You're staying in New York?" She asked with big eyes. "You're not coming?"

"I have businesses to run, Grace," I said to her and all I got in response is an eye roll.

"That crime mob is your business?" She moved my hand off of her stomach.

"Grace, stop. I keep reminding you that you knew what you got yourself into! I do have legit businesses you know," I'm trying to remain as calm as I can but she annoys me with that shit.

"Yeah, I didn't know a baby would be involved," She snapped and I just stared at her.

"You didn't know? So when we would stay up talking about a future with each other, you never brought up future kids? Giving them Italian ass names? I'm not mad that you want to leave but stop playing victim, Grace!" I stood up and hovered over her. My lips pressed against her forehead and I left the room.

It's not that I won't leave my business for my family, but my business is my family. Has been passed down throughout generations and I can't just abandon it, no one else is there to take over. My grandfather has been grooming me to be a businessman and family long for as long as I can remember, and they usually include my wife staying by my side.

{This is written in English but they're speaking Italian.}

I left Grace in the room alone and headed to my mothers room. "Mom," I knocked on her door.

"Come in," she said in Italian. I opened the door to her smoking and drinking orange juice.

"Is that a mimosa?" I squinted my eyes at her and she shook her head.

"Grace wants to leave me," I sat on my mothers bed without looking at her. "She wants a safe environment for the kids,"

"Can you blame her?" She asked me and I shook my head. "But I know where you're coming from, there's really no where safer than with you. The problem the first time is you didn't open up to her. You just abandoned her thinking you could solve the problem and go back like nothing is wrong,"

"Yeah, I should've just told her because she knew what came with me. It probably would've made her safer,"

"Are you going to California with her?" My mom asked and I gave her a look. "You're right,"

"I don't want her to leave," I mumbled. My mom put her joint down and gave me a hug.

"I know, but either you guys find a way to make it work coast to coast or one of you guys have to stay," My mom of all people should know how this feels. The girls' dad couldn't handle the lifestyle that my family kept up and he left (didn't last long alive though, he knew too much). Luckily I don't talk to Grace about much when it comes to that lifestyle.

"I love her and of course I already love my kid but I'm not leaving New York. If she wants to leave she can, but she's not going to keep me away from my kid," Just thinking about Grace leaving me is making my stomach knot.

"Stop putting negative things into the air!" My mother yelled. She sounded like an angry Italian woman with her manicured finger in the air.

"Stop putting negative things into the air," I mimicked and she couldn't help but laugh. "Alright mom, I'll think positively about this. But I'm sticking by what I said,"

"Be gentle," My mother warned and I nodded.

Grace

"What're you making?" I asked Aria.

"It's just eggs and bread," She shrugged. "Don't think I'm weird but I put a little sour cream on the bread,"

My face scrunched up. "That's actually disgusting. Are you using the bathroom properly?" I joked.

She giggled and slapped sour cream on a slice of bread. The scent went straight to my nose and I couldn't handle my stomach's reaction to it. I didn't make it very far when I threw up on someone's feet.

"I'm sorry," I groaned as my eyes met Alessandro's. He looked like he wanted to throw up by just looking at it.

"It's going into my toes," He mumbled with disgust written all over his face. "Mom!" He didn't even move. I lifted myself up to sit on the floor as Aria brought me a roll of paper towels to clean myself up with.

"I'm sorry," My voice coarsely let out. "I was trying to make it to the bathroom,"

"It's okay," Aria said as she cleaned up her brothers feet. "I'll go get the mop,"

"This is probably the absolute wrong time to talk about this but-"

"You're right. It is," I have him an attitude.

"Grace!" His voice had so much bass in it, I jumped. This is how he talks to his workers? "Jesus, just chill out. I love you and I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my life with you but I'm not leaving New York. If you think that's the safest move for you then do it but you're not keeping my child away from me and I can only see her on weekends. It doesn't work like that and I wish you'd change your mind,"

"I've already changed my mind. But you've got a lot to promise me, Alessandro. What happened can't happen again! I know it's unexpected and shit but you need to stay three or four steps ahead of everyone. You slacked off after me and it's my fault but if you want me to stay, me and my kids need to be more protected than the president. Or I will leave and take our daughter," I laid it all out. Those are my terms and I'm sticking to it.

"I did slack off when I got with you and it's my fault. I was careless but I swear I'll keep you safe Grace. Just don't leave," His voice cracked and my stomach did a somersault.

"Don't give me a reason to leave," I simply said. Our conversation ended with his mother and sister coming back into the kitchen with a mop bucket and wet towels to wipe ourselves off with.

"Thank you," I told her and she nodded.

"Have you guys talked?" She sighed. Her eyes bloodshot red and low which made me giggle.

"Yes, Mom," Dro said as he used the towel to clean in between his toes.

"Safe to say sour cream isn't apart of my diet anymore," I laughed with Aria.

I looked at my man with a smile. He may not know it but I really appreciate him and value him. I also love him too so that's probably another reason why I'm staying with him.