part one, the bookstore.

The cold wind cut through the openings of my coat in between my buttons, making a shiver rush through my body causing my bones to ache. I tucked my chin into my chest and dug my nose into my scarf at an attempt to shield my skin from the cold breeze, silently praying I was nearing my destination.

Once I reached the familiar big dark wooden doors on my left, I sighed with relief and grasped the cold black iron handle. While stepping inside, the familiar scent of musty yet sweet smelling paper enveloped into my nose, allowing my body to internally relax. The warm air hit my body immediately, causing my cold exposed skin to burn from the heat. I gave a sweet smile to the familiar faces inside, and headed towards my favorite spot. It was a quiet corner of the bookstore towards the back with the entire wall off to the left made of glass facing the sidewalk I had just been walking on. I came here every morning before work to catch up on some light reading to relax before a busy day's work. 

I placed my brown leather book-bag onto the floor next to me and settled my body sideways onto the run down brown sofa chair, while bringing my feet up in front of me. I unbuttoned my wool knee length coat, and placed a pile of books onto my lap, while adverting my gaze out the window. I really enjoyed this spot because I could catch a glimpse into peoples' lives as they walked, biked, or drove to wherever they were headed. Sometimes I would make up stories with people I would see, like imagining a couple holding hands are on their way to get coffee together before splitting up to go to their places of business. Or a guy wearing a suit is rushing to work because he was late for a meeting after snoozing his alarm clock too many times and spilling his coffee onto his firmly pressed shirt. In this bookstore no one knew my story, I was a mystery to everyone, just like all the other people I saw outside this window, and like all these unread books within these walls.

I began reading one of my books when suddenly I got this overwhelming feeling rush over my body, a feeling like someone was watching me close by. The feeling began to make me anxious and a knot began to form in the pit of my stomach. I rushed to my feet with my books in my arms and slung my book-bag onto my back. As I stepped out of the bookstore I instantly sighed as the cold refreshing air hit my face and instinctively closed my eyes. Once I opened them I was immediately met with a pair of dark eyes who was effortlessly fastening his button on his suit jacket while stepping out of a shiny sleek black car onto the sidewalk, all while maintaining his eye contact with me. What I saw next were books falling onto the sidewalk at my feet in slow motion, and felt the sudden loss of weight in my arms where my books used to be. The man had very dark features, dark black hair, dark eyes, dark eyebrows, and was wearing an all black fitted suit that seemed to be tailored perfectly to his tall muscular body. His eyes stayed locked on mine, paralyzing my body in place, and then slowly they fixated on my books that were now at my feet. I continued to stare at his face, wondering how a man with such a daunting presence could also look somewhat inviting. 

I shook my head out of my thoughts and averted my eyes to the ground, I bent down and silently hoped he had walked away. I lifted my gaze slightly upward with my head still down to see if he was still there, I let out a sigh and my body physically relaxed as I noticed he was no longer in front of me and neither was his car. I leaned up onto my knees and stoop up holding my books to my chest, I looked towards my left and then right and noticed his wide shoulders and strong looking back walking in the other direction down the street. As I turned my body to the left and made my way to work, I peered over my shoulder catching a glimpse of his back once again, curious about his story and who he was. I immediately turned my head back around, tucking a strand of my dark brown hair behind my ear, and forcing my limbs to move faster. I had a strange feeling I would see that man again, while also hoping I was wrong.