part twelve (2), home.

I grabbed my things from the trunk and followed my mother into the side door along the house. She held the door open for me and I walked inside, and the familiar smell of apples and sweet vanilla enveloped into my nose.

Do you ever smell something and it instantly makes you remember something? like a memory or a place, or a time in your life?

One time I was cleaning up my room in NYC and found an old perfume bottle, I sprayed it and was instantly reminded of a book I read a long time ago, because I was wearing this perfume at the time I was reading that particular book.

This is what happened when the scent of my home overwhelmed my senses. The smell brought me back to my childhood days running around the house with socks on as my little brother chased me, or when I'd help my mom bake cookies on Sunday morning, or when I'd watch movies in the living room snuggled up with my father.

All these memories came rushing back and in that moment I didn't want to be anywhere else. I took my sneakers off, and rolled my luggage into the kitchen. All of a sudden my younger brother Wesley, he's 12, came running at me with full force. I laughed whole heartedly as he wrapped me into a hug, his little arms wrapping around my waist. I looked down at him,

"Wesley, how's my favorite little brother?"

With a big toothy grin he said,

"I'm your only brother"

I laughed and hugged him back tighter, I shook my right hand through his hair,

"You have gotten so tall Wes"

He was only 12 and he came up to my shoulders already. Me being 5'5 at 24 years old, I was pretty average in the height department, but my brother looks to be taking after my father. My father was 6'3, his tall stature making him come off as very intimidating, but he was a big teddy bear. I smiled at the sight of him,

"Hello Angel"

He had always called me angel since I was a baby,

"Hello dad" I said, as he wrapped me into a big hug.

"So what are everyone's plans today?"

My mother was rummaging through the fridge, pulling out eggs, milk, cheese, juice, etc.

"Well I'm going to make breakfast for everyone and since it's Sunday I figured we all would take a walk around town before dinner. How long are you staying with us Lena?"

My stomach growled at the thought of breakfast, since I hadn't had time to eat anything before my train left this morning, and I slept the entire way. I sat myself down on a chair on the far end of the island counter in the middle of the kitchen.

"My train leaves Tuesday night at 6:00 pm"

My mother smiles,

"Well, I took off work Monday through Wednesday, but unfortunately your father has to work, and your brother has school."

She started to scramble some eggs on the stove, and put some bread into the toaster. My mouth started to water immediately as the smell of breakfast food filled my senses. After eating a big plate of food, I grabbed my luggage and went up to my old room. The last owners repainted the walls a light grey color, which I actually liked a lot more than my previous lilac colored walls I had since I was really little.

I loved my room, it had a closet covering the entire length of the far wall, with sliding glass mirrors on the outside with white trim, and the adjacent wall off to the right had two large windows. I always enjoyed having my blinds up, allowing the natural light of the day to peer into my room. I had wooden floors with a light soft shaggy rug covering a majority of the floor, that matched my white trim,white dresser, and white night stand.