Chapter 6

The gang decided that, due to the fact that the door that lead into Deadweed Cavern was now apparently locked and nobody in their right minds would be trying to enter it any time soon, they would walk down the tunnel and attempt to find another exit.

There was a broken-down mine rail that lead down the dark blue and black tunnel. Every once in a while, a beaten-up mine cart or some pickaxes would be strewn about beside the track, like they had been left behind in a hurry and never returned to.

The only light in the tunnel was from Ash and Burpy, who kept their heads lit to guide the gang into the cavern, and the mushrooms that dotted the path next to the mine rail. As the gang walked by, the bioluminescent plants would slowly start to glow and provide the slingers with some additional (but eerie) pale blue light.

"This was a mistake, I tell you!" Pronto worried, constantly looking over his shoulder as the gang continued on. "We should have waited by the door!"

Trixie sighed impatiently. "It could be half-past forever by the time someone rescues us," she reminded. "We'll see if we can find another way out. And film some ghosts," she added, raising her camera. Alana smiled and stuck her face in front of the camera, putting up a piece sign.

"I'd settle for some people," Eli said quietly. "What happened to them all?"

"It used to be a busy gold mine," Pronto explained. "Then, years ago, abandoned. Many ventured in in attempt to see why, only to emerge screaming in fear- or worse, never seen again!" he exclaimed.

Eli grinned. "This is great! We can find a new slug and solve a mystery!"

"Way to look on the bright side," Alana laughed.

"Well, either way, it's gonna make some great footage," Trixie said, turning the camera around to get the full view of the broken-up mine rail and abandoned equipment.

"Yes, of our gruesome demise!" Pronto cried out dramatically. "Just, make me look heroic when the hungry ghosts come to eat my molenoid brains!"

"Did you say brains?" Eli asked, glancing back at Pronto.

"Yes, of course! We molenoids have two brains," Pronto explained, gesturing to his head. "Which make me twice as scared and twice as tasty!"

As Pronto readjusted his helmet over his head, he stepped on the edge of a shovel that had a hard hat sitting on the handle. It flew up in front of his face, and he began screaming as he dove for cover behind a bundle of mushrooms.

Alana laughed as she picked up the shovel and hat. "Pronto, it's just a shovel."

Pronto laughed nervously as he got to his feet. The gang continued walking down the path. Long spider webs sunk down from the ceiling, and the mist in the tunnel was growing heavier. It was growing more and more difficult to see very far in front of themselves as the Shane Gang ventured deeper into Deadweed.

"Agh! The fog is too thick!" Pronto yelled as he nearly walked into one of the spider webs. "We should turn back while we can- while we still have our brains!"

Alana and Trixie rolled their eyes as they continued forward. Eli and Kord paused to assure Pronto that there was no being out to eat his brains.

"I wonder how much farther-" Alana began to ask, but was cut off when something flashed in front of her and Trixie's path.

The two gasped and froze. It had looked faintly like a person running in front of them. But just as quickly as it had appeared, the phantom was gone. When it was in her vision, Alana felt the iciness from the ghoul slug coming back. It faded away when the figure disappeared, but the fear stayed.