Chapter 12

Alana sprinted after the Blakk Industries worker, adrenaline pumping through her veins. She was running through the rooftops of a city that had the smell of oil hanging in the air. The worker glanced behind her and scowled as he jumped from one roof to the other, Alana less than a dozen feet behind him.

An Arachnet transformed in front of her, and the web pulled up Eli, who rolled onto the roof and began running alongside Alana.

"If he's running at least he means he's probably got what we need," he gasped as he and Alana both leapt to another rooftop.

"Now we just need to get him," Alana said, trying to pump her legs as fast as she can. She and Eli leapt across an alley to one more rooftop before the worker quickly cut to the right and hurriedly climbed up a ladder, moving fast like a spider.

"That's a problem," Eli gasped as the worker jumped up the last three feet of the ladder and kicked it off the level he was on. He smirked and ran out of sight. Alana scowled and ran ahead of Eli, sliding down on her knees and coming to a halt at the base of the wall, glad she had knee guards.

"I'll give you a boost!" she called to Eli, cupping her hands in front of her. He nodded and sped up, jumping and landing on Alana's hands. She pulled her arms forward and pushed up with her legs as Eli jumped, pushing upward and sending him up the wall.

"Thanks!" he called before disappearing, tearing after the worker.

"No problem," Alana gasped, leaning against the wall and taking deep breaths, wiping sweat from her forehead. Ash chirped from her shoulder, concerned.

"I'm good," she said truthfully, stretching out her arms. "Just wanted to catch a breather."

Mage nuzzled Alana's cheek, and Alana rubbed her head affectionately as she reached up with her other hand and pressed her earpiece. "Where's he heading?" she asked as she walked to the edge of the roof she was on and looked around the street.

"He's going north!" Trixie's voice called out through a layer of static. "We're going to head him off right now. Eli's on his tail, still on the rooftops. Where are you?"

"Seeking an alternate route," Alana said, hopping off the roof and firing her Bubbaleone at the ground. The pink slug transformed and expanded with air, sticking on the ground as Alana landed on it, bouncing up a few feet before landing on the street. She waited for the slug to return to protoform before letting her hop back into Alana's backpack.

"Keep an eye out for the gang," Alana told Mage and Ash as she began running through the streets, glancing around at the brown buildings and dark alleyways. The people were scarce- the second they heard slugfire, most of them had retreated into their houses. Those who stayed watched Alana dully, as if they had seen plenty of slingers fighting it out before and had since lost the excitement of a duel.

Alana took a right, heading north, scanning the streets around her. She almost came to a halt when she thought she saw someone staring at her from the rooftops, but it processed that it wouldn't be Eli or the worker if they were standing still, so her steps only faltered for a moment before she collected herself and continued her chase.

"One street to your left!" Alana suddenly heard Pronto shriek. She nodded and turned to her left, cutting through a dark, dusty alley. Dumpsters lined one side, and garbage that had missed its target lined the other. Alana scrunched up her nose as she hopped through the piles, watching her steps carefully before emerging from the alley onto another street. She gasped as Eli barrelled down the street, almost slamming into her, hot on the tail of the worker. Trixie, Pronto, and Kord followed close behind him.

"Welcome to the party," Kord said as Alana began running alongside them.

"Sorry, had to take a breather," Alana gasped, coming to a halt as Eli slowed down, holding up his hand. The worker had ducked into a small, circular restaurant at the end of the street.