Chapter 14

24 Hours Earlier

"Here's what we know," Eli said, placing a model train down on a map that was spread out across the table in the living room.

The Shane Gang, including its newest member, was spread out around the table, watching apprehensively. Twist's intel had left them all buzzing, and they had finally formed a solid enough plan to start running through it.

"Tomorrow, Doctor Blakk is moving a huge shipment of dark water to a secure facility. This isn't your average mark. Blakk's not taking chances- we're talking armed guards, private train, the works," Eli said.

"We hit Blakk less than two days ago," Trixie said, glancing up at Eli. "Shouldn't he be regrouping?"

"Twist?" Eli asked, glancing at Twist.

"The opposite," the blond said. "If anything, Blakk's stepping up his game. You guys cut off his supply when you took out the Deadweed mine, but he's still got plenty."

Alana rested her forehead on her hand, a spike of coldness running up her spine. She couldn't help but think there was something nearby, but she couldn't place where or what exactly, and it was making her more and more frustrated.

"Twist's intel suggests that dark water is being moved from Blakk's fortress to a depot in the outer caverns," Eli said. Loki hopped across the map, moving another model car over from the area marked with a red V (the Blakk Industries citadel) to the edge of the map.

Twist laughed and motioned for his slug to come back. Loki chirped and complied, hopping back in his slinger's bandoleer. Alana sighed and rubbed her head, directing all of her focus to the map. The coldness drew away.

"I don't blame him," Trixie said, shaking her head. "I wouldn't wanna live on top of that stuff."

"This is it, guys," Eli said. "We pull this off, and we can put Doctor Blakk out of the ghoul business for good."

Alana smiled, pushing away fears of dark energy. She fist-bumped Trixie, and Eli and Twist did the same. Pronto grinned and said something about this being one of his most heroic deeds to date, but Kord remained silent. He had his head rested on his hand, and he was staring at the map absently.

"Kord? Kord!" Eli said, waving his hand. Kord jolted out of his daze, looking around the table confusedly.

"Huh?" he asked, shaking his head as he came back to reality.

"Are you listening?" Eli asked patiently.

"Sorry, what?" Kord said, scratching the back of his head.

"The mission briefing?" Eli prompted.

"Sorry," Kord said, leaning back in his chair. "I'm still thinking about the ghoul depot. It doesn't make any sense. I shut down the security grid, then Twist went in, and Diablos appeared behind us. But how did he even know we were there?"

Alana sighed, smiling at Kord sadly. When he wanted to know the answer to a problem, it consumed him. Usually, it was a mechanical issue that he could solve if he put his mind to it. But something like this wasn't a Mecha fix. Sometimes things just go wrong.

"Let it go, Kord," Twist said, putting his hands on his hips. "Eli needs you in the game."

"Try thinking like Alana," Trixie said teasingly. Alana laughed and shrugged.

"It works," she said. "Look at the bright side- we made it out of the depot and cured the ghouls. Even if it was hard, we still had great results."

"Yeah, you're right. Sorry. Whatever you guys need," Kord said with a smile, sitting up straight and pushing one of the model cars forward.

~~~~~~~~