Chapter 27

So excited for this one!!! Enjoy!!

~~~~~~~~

Dana sat in front of a holodesk, watching as a small dot moved across the screen. An empty energy drink can sat next to the keyboard. Since the defeat of the Unbeatable Master, she'd been working and training nearly nonstop.

There was the smallest voice in her head with a hint of remorse for what happened to Shanai. It was unfortunate that such an incredible slinger had to die.

But that's just it, Dana thought to herself as she watched the dot finally come to a stop, right in the Dark Periphery where she'd expected. She had to die.

It had been necessary, and Dana wholly believed that. Letting someone with Shanai's skills live would mean a constant threat to Blakk's plans.

Footsteps sounded behind Dana, breaking up her thoughts. She quickly turned to face the newcomer, her hand moving for her blaster, but relaxed when she saw that it was just Twist.

"Did she stop?" he asked, looking at the screen over Dana's shoulder. She nodded, leaning back in her desk chair.

"In the Dark Periphery. I was right. She's had run-ins with the Shadow Clan before. She'll go to them with answers, and then as soon as she's out of their territory, we'll see where she goes and follow her," she said, running through the plan in her mind.

"Wouldn't it be more effective to go after her sooner? If you're right and she's learning about her family, then she's not going to be expecting anything. You can just get her as soon as she gets back on the move," Twist said. Dana rolled her eyes, looking up at him.

"You think the Shadow Clan would let me get close to their territory?" she asked. "I've had a run-in with them before and they made it very clear they don't approve of my existence. We wait until she's a safe distance from the Dark Periphery. Then my team and I go in."

~~~~~~~~~

The leader blinked, obviously taken aback by Alana's upfront attitude.

"I do not understand what you mean-" he began, but Alana cut him off.

"With all due respect, I think you do," she said, finding that, despite the storm of emotions going on in her head, her voice was calm. She knew that losing her temper with the Shadow Clan would get her nowhere. "You've acted like you met me before. You knew all about my energy. I know you know something, and I need to find out what that is."

The leader narrowed his glowing green eyes.

"The Shadow Clan knows far more than other Slugterrans when it comes to this world and its anomalies," he said. "But that does not mean we hold all the answers."

I don't want to do this, Alana thought, shifting her weight back and forth between her feet. She knew the Shadow Clan wouldn't tear her apart like Slugterrans feared they would, but that had no obligations to be kind. Standing in their presence could make the strongest cave troll feel silly and small.

"I know. But you do hold some of them," she said. "And I need to know whatever you know about me."

The leader's tail thrashed.

"We are not obligated to share knowledge with you," he said. "We have reasons for what we do. It is at one's request that our knowledge of you remain secret."

Alana frowned and perked up. Who would request something like that? Who would even know to request it, and who would have the courage to ask something of the most feared species in Slugterra? And, perhaps the most confusing question, who would be so highly respected that the Shadow Clan would follow their wishes?