Chapter 44

Red Hook grumbled to himself as he swung open the door to his house. Some of the children of the town simply didn't fear him like everyone else. They thought they could just show up on his front porch whenever they liked and pester him for stories. It wasn't his fault he had to oblige every time- to get them to leave, of course.

He reached for the lightswitch with his hook and flicked it up. The lights flickered to life-

Revealing a girl standing in his work room, in front of his workbench.

Red Hook opened his mouth to yell out, but the girl held a finger to her mouth.

"Shh," she said, raising her blaster. A Thrasher sat in the barrel, growling. "Those children aren't back in their homes yet. I'd hate for them to still be outside when I give the Dark Bane the signal to take this cavern."

"Who are you?" Red Hook snapped, but he knew. He'd seen her in the Sting girl's videos. He recognized her scarlet-streaked hair and cruel eyes.

"Dana Edwards," the girl replied. "And I'm here to collect you for Doctor Blakk. We've run into a technical problem that only you can solve."

"What makes you think I'll help that scum?" Red Hook sneered.

"You may have a grumpy facade, but you do have a conscience," Dana replied, grinning wickedly and glancing down at the Thrasher. "I'll bring those kids into this if I have to, Red Hook."

Red Hook scowled, his hand curling into a fist. But Dana only smiled. She knew she had him.

"Come on. You have work to do."

~~~~~~~~

Alana slowly edged around the corner of a street, looking around at her surroundings and feeling for dark energy.

When she felt nothing, she raised her hand to her earpiece.

"Are we clear, Pronto?" she asked quietly.

"As crystal! Well, not Geoshard crystal, that's lime- oh, whatever. Clear!" Pronto said, luckily cutting off one of his inevitable rambles.

Alana laughed quietly and turned to the half dozen people she was leading out of the city, hidden in the shadows of an alley by the corner. Two teens, three adults, and a baby held by one of the men, asleep thanks to Alana's Slyren, Sonic.

"Okay, follow close behind me," she said, slowly leading the way out from behind the alley. "You guys should be the last ones on the west side."

The civilians nodded and followed closely after Alana as she jogged down the street. While Eli, Trixie, and Kord were trying to rally some of the more able-bodied people in the caverns to fight against Blakk, Alana was tasked with evacuation with Pronto giving her cover from one of the rooftops. Since Alana was easily the most optimistic of the group, she was able to keep the citizens more calm and collected during the evacuation.

Suddenly, Pronto's voice erupted in her earpiece at the same time Alana got a chill down her spine.

"Dark Bane coming around the corner!"

"Pronto!" Alana hissed, sticking her arm out and stopping the people who were following her. "I thought we were clear!"

"I could not see them!" Pronto argued, but Alana ignored him, turning to face the civilians, pushing down her frustration.

"We need to take cover," she said, and one of the teens tried to push the closest shop door open.

"It's locked!" she exclaimed. Alana hurried forward, taking a deep breath and focusing on pulling up some energy, letting it give her strength before she raised her right leg and kicked the door in. It splintered at the handle, but swung open. "Everyone in!"