1 ★ GAS STATIONS

❝ GAS STATIONS. ❞

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE.

Lia yawned tiredly as she lazily turned a corner, streetlights shining off of her glazed over eyes. Finn followed suit, bringing a hand over their mouth as the two yawned in sync.

"I hope Rowan wakes up before I fall asleep while driving," Lia mumbled. The minute rage that could usually be heard in her voice was faded, simply due to having drove for 14 hours straight.

Lia glanced in the rearview mirror to the three other teens that slept in the backseat of the rundown minivan. If she had the energy to smile at their positions she would. Instead, she shrugged sleepily, and turned her eyes back to the road. "We should be heading up on a gas station soon."

"Mhm," Finn nodded. Rows of overhead lights hit their faces, and the passenger managed to chuckle playfully. "We're at the gas station."

"Wow, that was fast," Lia noted, sarcasm dripping from her tongue. As the lights of the gas station filled their eyesights, energy bubbled up in them. As soon as she had parked next to a gas tank, Lia threw open the passenger door and sprinted into the gas station.

The sound of Lia's feet slapping against the pavement startled Ro wide awake, and his eyes immediately looked to his right arm which was twisted behind Chayse's back. While Miles was slowly drifting into consciousness, Chayse was snoring away, not bothered one bit by the elbow digging into her back.

"Miles—" the eldest member of the group squeaked, and when the mentioned looked over he chuckled. He simply grabbed Chayse's arms, pulling her so that she leaned over her own knees. "I'm free!"

Miles and Rowan exited the automobile as their bones creaked and snapped, strolling into the heavenly building as they began chatting about anything and everything. Finn stood at the gas pump, watching the amount of gallons they inserted closely.

Once they were sure the amount of fuel would suffice— and not leave the group stranded in the middle of nowhere— they returned everything back to normal and went to where they saw Chayse in the most ungodly position, sound asleep.

"Chayse, hon, wake up!" Finn placed their hand on the sixteen year old's back, shaking her until her body began to animate. 

"Woah, that was a wicked dream," Chayse groaned, her neck stiff and her back tender for some odd reason.

"What was it about?"

"I was writing Sherlock fanfic," Chayse began. "Okay, so basically, there was this girl named Martha, and she was John's—"

Finn rolled their eyes playfully, cutting their fellow teenager off before she could explain the whole plot line she had dreamed up. "C'mon, sunshine, I gotta pay the gas."

The two remaining kids walked in together, Chayse bolting off to the bathroom when she realized she had to pee before she fell asleep and still had to pee now. Unlike the fidgety child, Finn made their way to the single late night worker, paying him the required amount of cash.

"Will that be all for today?" He questioned. Finn shook their head with little to no hesitation.

"We're gonna take a few to stretch our legs and grab some snacks. Road trips, y'know?"

The man smiled, happy to have some sort of conversation in his other wise boring life. He went to respond, but was cut off by the youngest of the group screaming from three aisles over.

"Finn, what d'you want?" Miles' voice was no longer strained unlike when he first woke up, but it cracked as a crash could be heard from where he stood. "Oh shit, my bad!"

Miles had accidentally swung his arm right into a shelf, knocking down a whole row of Combos. He hurriedly picked them back up, only for the snacks to be snatched away by a certain impulsive girl.

"You're gonna buy all of those?" Miles raised an eyebrow at Lia, whom was already sipping at a blue slushie.

"If they're Pepperoni Combos, then yes," Lia scoffed as if it was obvious.

Th sudden flush of a toilet could be heard through the thin, plaster walls, and Chayse dragged her feet over to the two of them. She wiped her hands on the back of her shirt, before pulling down the sleeves of her jacket and coming to a stop next to them.

"Oh, here little sis," Lia hummed, handing Chayse a package of Peanut M&M's and a bottle of water. Chayse grabbed the sustenance from her friend hungrily, her glasses slipping down her face at the sudden movement. She just grabbed the rims, and shoved the spectacles on the top of her head.

"Thanks, big sis!" Chayse cried happily. "Hey, Ro!"

"What's up?" Rowan took a swig of the warm coffee he held in his hand as he walked forward, sighing gratefully as the drink slid down his throat. Chayse looked on confused and concerned.

"Isn't it too late for coffee?"

"Time is a man made concept," Miles deadpanned. Rowan swallowed another mouthful of the brown liquid, nodding in agreement. Chayse and Miles began arguing (the former saying that The Doctor wouldn't treat her like this, and the latter saying you couldn't bring a fictional character into an argument about a social construct) when Finn waved them over.

"Got everything, kiddos?"

"I'm older than you," Ro smirked as the three sixteen year olds rang out a chorus of yes. "But can I get three muffins?"

"Gotta have enough for the road," Lia noted. The cashier rang up the abundance of food and drinks, and the five close knit friends waved goodbye to him.

Ro hopped into the driver's seat, and Chayse took her turn in the passenger seat. The other three squeezed into the back, everyone immediately digging into their snacks.

"So," Miles hummed. "Did you get his number?"

Finn shook their head, popping a pretzel into their mouth. "I have a beautiful boyfriend who's enough for me."

"That's why we've never met him," Chayse shook her head, suspicious of that whole situation. They had heard of Finn's boyfriend before, but knew nothing about him or even his name.

Rowan began to drive off back onto the dark and eerily empty highway, wide awake. All was silent for a few minutes as everyone ate their midnight snack, the five simply enjoying one another's company.

"I love you guys."

"We love you too."

★★★
i love my friends just thought you should know

i never got a snack/drink from miles or finn, so i had to take the safe route w them o o p s.

i think ??? next chapter we start getting into the juicier part of the plot?? towards the end of the chapter at least

anways.., night y'all ❤️❤️