16 ★ AN ALTEAN'S HIBERNATION

❝ AN ALTEAN'S HIBERNATION. ❞

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN.

"Are you sure, Rowan?" Finn questioned, their confusion clearly expressed by the way their eyebrows perked up. The second eldest shrugged, looking to his teammates with the same confusion.

"It's what Coran said before he fell asleep himself," Rowan confirmed. "Apparently once a year– er, or a decaphoeb, Altean's collectively hibernate to revitalize their quintessence. All his words. Allura said they'd be asleep for about a quintent and a half."

"What the hell is quintessence?" Lia sounded off at the same time that Chayse asked "Isn't a quintent like a month?"

"No, a quintent is like a day," Miles corrected, before pausing. "... right?"

"We'll find out soon," Finn huffed.

"No one's gonna tell me what quintessence is?" Lia called out once again. Everyone stared at her blankly, not having any explanations. "Alright then."

"Did they tell you anything else before fucking off?"

Rowan suddenly blushed, remembering the conversation he had had with the drowsy princess mere minutes before. "She... she told me to be the leader she knows I can be while they're gone."

"Aw. That's sweet," Miles hummed. "But what does it mean?"

"I'm assuming that Allura meant Rowan tells us what to do?" Finn offered.

"What can we do?" Chayse groaned. "There's not a single TV in this big ass castle, and we're not allowed to leave without the Princess's permission." A few 'hmps' sounded in agreement before the room fell into a stiff silence. Four pairs of eyes ranging from brown to blue flashed to their Latino leader-in-training, who took a moment to think.

"Whatever... we..... want?"

With the promise of freedom from their chosen leader (both chosen by his friends and an alien woman), a bright idea flashed into Finnegan's head.

An hour passed, and that idea was made a reality. The five young humans had spread themselves across the large and dormant battleship, one of said humans looking into every shadow and every crack with hawk-like eyes.

Miles had been searching for fifteen minutes now (should he start using alien time measurements?), and had began to remember why the seeking part of the game was not as popular as its hiding counterpart. Lia had found him first before, rubbing it in his face with a victorious cackle.

He was almost ready to give up, until he heard a crash from a large doorway and the ringing of a not-so-nice swear word. He peeked his head into the Green Lion's hangar, almost loosing it at the sight of Chayse laying limp next to a shattered... something.

She stared blankly at the ceiling, ignoring the oozing cut on her thigh and the threatening aura the Lion beside her suddenly gave off.

"Bruh, what happened?" Miles asked. Her eyes snapped to him, not a hint of surprise being contained in those brown irises about being found.

"Dude, I was hiding for so long. And this thing on the table looked so interesting. Not my fault it wasn't sturdy."

"I don't think Green liked that."

"Probably was made by her previous Paladin. Also not my fault I'm dumb."

"Well... wanna get your dumbass out of here before a certain robot vores you?"

Chayse sighed deeply, before rising onto her feet and exiting with her much taller friend. They made their way to the intercom system room, where they would announce to everyone else that the round was over. Everyone gathered quickly, happy that they were able to use their limbs again.

As Finn was explaining to Chayse for the tenth time how long she needed to count before she could look for them, Lia looked around the room in curiosity.

"Has anyone perhaps seen our beloved pet Corgi lately?"

"Tweetie?" Rowan hummed. "He was sleeping with Coran last I saw."

"Is Coran's door mayhaps, by chance, by absolute conincidence, closed?"

"That's going to be a hard, uh, yes," Rowan answered, finally realizing what the problem was. "Maybe we should go get him?"

"Yeah!" Chayse was suddenly enthralled. "And by the time we get back maybe you'll forget it was my turn to seek!"

"Not a chance," Finn laughed. The five continued to converse lightly as they made their way to the other side of the Castle of Lions, stopping in front of the door that Rowan recognized as Coran's. He opened it slowly– glad it didn't creak like a certain door back home– and let the orange and white furball shoot out before leaving the alien in darkness once again.

Miles went to pick up the gang's mascot with eager arms, but instead his eye's widened at Tweetie raised his leg.

The gaggle of friends watched in absolute silence as Tweetie relieved himself into the wall right beside the advisor's bedroom, doing so for at least ten seconds. When the dog was done he sniffed the puddle curiously, before bounding away with a less frantic energy.

The five exchanged lost glances, before following their pet awkwardly away from the mess.

★★★
i CRANKED this out!!! because its national best friends day!!!!! and i love the rest of the babs more than anything <<<3. if it feels rushed thats because it is, since im falling asleep eight seconds ago. soz yall 😔

but anyways, awhile ago i held a contest (it ended about a month ago), where most of the prizes where a fic written by me (most short stories). once i finish all of those, i will be focusing on road trip and road trip only, until it is completed. it'll be difficult for me, especially since it seems like this book is turning out to be longer than thought, but it'll be well worth it.

if i am to finish at least one (1) full length fic, i'll be damned if it isn't this book.

road trip will also go under some revising before i do that, mainly in just the first few chapters.

also have some road trip vines i made during this book's still ongoing hiatus 🥴

i plan on making more (to not just vines) but my enegry has been???? put into playing minecraft storymode lol

love yall <3