2 ★ THE FIELD

❝ THE FIELD. ❞

CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO.

Exactly three hours passed in the rusty minivan, except this time everyone was wide awake. Chayse rested her forehead upon the cool window of the passenger seat, Rowan and Finn exchanging worried glances as they watched over her. Chayse didn't notice, instead listening to everyone else chat among themselves.

"That coming out of your mouth right now?" Lia paused, an eyebrow raised in Miles' direction. "Complete bullshit."

"12AM to 12PM?" Miles imitated his fellow sixteen year old's expression and voice fluctuation. "A concept created by humans."

"No, it isn't! Sunset to sundown is not a manmade thing!"

"I'm not saying the Earth's rotation is fake, I'm saying time is!"

"But time passes whether humans put numbers to it or not!"

"Jesus fu—"

"Isn't this the argument you were having with Chayse?" Finn questioned, shutting the two up. Miles crossed his arms, huffing in irritation. Rowan rolled his eyes, sucking the last sip of cold, bitter coffee from his cup.

"Well, Chayse didn't have much of an argument. She just said over and over that The Doctor would treat her right— which I highly doubt. Y'know, since everyone he loves dies."

Chayse finally spoke up, whipping her head around to glare at them. "Boi! Are you trying to fight? Square up!" The youngest of the group suddenly went pale after her exclamation, slapping her hands over her mouth.

"Goddamn it," Rowan groaned. Being on a completely desolate dirt street, Rowan was able to slam the brakes in the middle of the road and push his friend out of the car. Chayse jogged to the side of the road, hunching over.

Everyone else stepped out calmly, happy to stretch their legs in the quiet and peaceful countryside. The stars twinkled brightly in the Tennessee sky, shining down on the five friends and guiding their way. They all felt connected with the lights, the overwhelming feeling that they belonged up there invading their senses.

The moment was ruined as Chayse heaved, throwing up whatever was still in her stomach.

A dog suddenly jumped out of the car, running straight into the tall field of wheat. At first Miles went to call after him, but then realized that the stray had always come back to them before.

"Eh, Tweetie will be fine," he shrugged, referring to the group's corgi. "Probably has to pee really bad."

Finn walked over to Chayse worriedly, who was now just throwing up some clear liquid, it obviously being all the water she had drank a few hours ago in a bet against Rowan. The eighteen year old went to place their hand on Chayse's back in comfort, but pulled away at the last second.

"You good, sunshine?"

Chayse nodded in assurance, wiping her mouth on the sleeve of her Star Wars shirt. She chuckled despite the vulgar feeling in her throat, before checking her breath (it reeked). "I haven't been carsick since I was ten."

"That's exactly what you said the first week of our road trip when you barfed!" Rowan snickered, sniffing at a stalk of wheat as if it smelled of tulips and daisies.

The five plopped down on the side of the road (of course, the opposite side of where a certain girl had vomited), looking back up to the stars with admiration. A peaceful and familiar atmosphere set around them, all five grinning happily.

"Hey, Ro?" Lia hummed. Everyone began listening, yet none of them looked away from the dark abyss of space. "Are you gonna be too busy for us when you go to Yale?"

"Never," the aforementioned didn't hesitate with her response. The girl had been accepted into the university four months prior, and was the whole reason the five internet friends decided to meet up and take the trip together. In just four weeks school would be starting once again for them all, and communications would slow as work consumed them.

Lia would be dropped off in her state first, Miles and Chayse following one another to the same town next, and finally Finn and Rowan would drive themselves back to their shared state.

"I'm glad I met you guys," Finn whispered, tearing up.

"The Internet can do wonders," Chayse praised with a hoarse throat. They all shared a silent and sentimental moment, before Miles spoke up. A twinge of fear was settled in his tone, and Tweetie the corgi came sprinting back to the group as if running away from something.

"Hey, does anyone else see that huge fucking castle?"

★★★
IMPORTANT INFORMATION AHEAD !!!

this fanfiction takes place straight after season two. it's kind of like an au though, because instead of just shiro disappearing, everyone did. so nothing in season three happens, but season one and two did.

also, check out cross message by teabagval , snapchat by -mythomagic , insagram by -thaliarose , and instagram famous by -strawberryquartz

those stories feature us, aka the characters in this book (not the same universe tho)!!