5 ★ THE YELLOW LION

❝ THE YELLOW LION. ❞

CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE.

"Jesus fucking Christ," Chayse hissed as she stood up straight once again when the rumbling had halted, Miles pulling on her long blonde hair slightly for support. "What the hell was that?"

Neither of the aliens responded, but instead rushed off into one of the barren halls. The five friends followed hesitantly, Tweetie now on the ground and trailing behind the group as they looked at one another in caution.

"Which Lion do you think it was, Princess?" Coran questioned, his eyes wide and open in fright.

"It had to be Yellow, he's the only one whose roar is so deep." Lights not lit before brightened their way, Allura's presence enough to make them spontaneously combust. Lia's eyes widened, and she grasped at the Altean Princess's shoulder.

"Wait, are you talking about those lion things? That make up the man? Is that what that loud roar was?" She asked quickly. "Why would it even be active if its Paladin is missing?"

"I don't know!" Allura shouted. A faint liquid bubbled up in her eyes, but she quickly turned away and began stalking off once again before Lia could apologize or Coran could console her.

Despite their complete and utter confusion and the fact that everything was moving too fast for their minds to comprehend, the friends continued following in silence. Coran slowed his pace, and when Allura was far enough ahead of them, he spoke up quietly.

"Forgive her. She's just lost five of her closest friends, as have I."

Finn offered a sincere smile. "We understand completely. Everyone handles grief in different ways." When no one made a move to agree, Finn stomped their foot onto Rowan's, and the eldest squeaked in pain as they all began nodding.

"Thank you for your sympathy—"

"It's not sympathy," Miles interrupted, looking at each of their friends with a sad look. "It's empathy."

"Nonetheless, I give my gratitude."

A yell came from the end of the hallway, where a large door was located. They all looked over to see Allura waving them down, a variety of emotions flashing across her face and making them pick up their pace. She didn't wait for them at the door, but instead ran in and towards a huge looming figure.

The five crashed into one another, in complete surprise and awe by the humongous thing in front of them.

"Oh jeez," Rowan mumbled. The Lion in front of them was Yellow all right. It was covered in the soft color, and when they closed their eyes it was all they could see. It seemed to be a bit stocky, large amounts of what looked like armor jutting out from its base. A blue, transparent barrier engulfed it, and its eyes shone with a startling light as it sat peacefully on its haunches.

Finn and Lia where the first to use their courage, stepping forward and making their way towards the two aliens. Allura was pounding on the barrier, begging the oversized cat to let her in and tell her where her friends were. Coran stood to the side, watching sadly and she poured out her emotions.

Rowan, Chayse, and Miles made their way up next, looking at the other two awkwardly. When Allura noticed the humans watching curiously, she sighed in defeat and her shoulders slumped.

"He was going to tell me something," Allura stated confidently.

"Princess, we can't jump to conclusions," Coran warned.

"What, are you saying he was talking to someone else? That's ridiculous!"

"Can you guys pause for a sec," Lia said, holding her hands up, "and tell us how the hell all of this works!"

"I just explained to you—"

"She means the science behind it," Miles sighed. Everyone erupted into a sudden argument, shouting over one another and screaming Earthen and Altean obscenities. Chayse became irritated, tuning them out and looking up to the yellow creature.

The two completely different entities seemed to be trapped in a staring contest, unblinking as they watched one another cryptically. The Lion won the competition as Chayse looked away, focusing her attention onto the blue barrier just inches in front of her. Had she moved? She didn't remember being this close.

She suddenly wondered what the shield would feel like. Would it be smooth? Would it feel like plastic? Would it shock her, or even kill her? At the last thought, her hand darted out to the possible danger and she slammed her hand against the barrier.

The arguing halted as a loud sizzle sounded from beneath her hand. As first she thought her skin was being burnt away but no smoke or smell arose. Instead, the barrier crumbled, receding back quickly and disappearing into the atmosphere. 

"Whoah," Chayse sounded as the robot stood to all four feet, its height towering over her with an unbelievable difference. It's metal jaws snapped open, and the same roar as before was let out. This time Chayse didn't cover her ears or cower in surprise, but instead she accepted it. The energy it gave off seemed to absorb into her skin, leaving her in a daze. "Dude, that was sick."

"Are you kidding me?" Allura choked in horror. "They've barely been gone a week, and you're already choosing a new paladin! Last time it took you 10,000 years!"

Allura huffed in anger as she shot icy glares at Yellow Lion, before stomping away. Coran was a bit more calm, offering them a few apologies.

"Wait, where's she going?" Chayse asked in concern. Allura was already out of sight, a trail of despair in her wake. Coran looked to the newly appointed Yellow Paladin sadly, just as confused as her.

"I'll find out. In the meantime I suggest, as the Yellow Paladin, you bond with your Lion."

"Wha— bond?" Chayse shrieked. They'd been in this castle for what... fifteen minutes? So much had happened in that time span, and suddenly she was someone who was supposed to fight off evil? How the hell does that work?

Coran fled the scene before he could be pulled into anymore questions.

Chayse looked to her four friends (and dog) in confusion, her eyebrows scrunched together and her eyes wavering with water. They seemed absolutely stunned, arms solid at their sides and their faces were pale.

"Guys... wha– what do I do?" Chayse questioned, looking to them for guidance as the youngest of the group. They all shrugged.

"Before this, the craziest thing that ever happened to me was going on a road trip with you guys," Rowan breathed. Chayse closed her eyes for a moment, before turning to the exposed Lion.

She was already too scared to be scared when it moved, kneeling down on its front legs and opening its mouth in a welcoming manner. She looked back at her friends one last time, before walking into the belly of the beast.

★★★
i was gonna update this yesterday, but i fell asleep ??? while in my school clothes ??? and then i was gonna update as soon as i woke up ??? but the wifi was turned off and my phone was dead ???? apparently its my job to clean up dog shit and make sure the puppy doesnt ruin anything while im asleep ????¿

e n t e r a b i g d e e p s i g h