12 ★ THE GREEN LION

❝ THE GREEN LION. ❞

CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE.

Later that night when crickets chirped around them, Finn and Rowan sat together under the twinkling stars. They leaned their backs against Crusty, not minding how dirty their pants would get from the dirt road below them.

Mile slept quietly in the van, and Lia and Chayse tossed and turned inside the castle where they were forced to spend their nights. The two adults were basked in the ominous shadow of the battleship before them, but it scared them for a completely different reason.

"How do you think they're handling all of this?" The eldest spoke aloud, turning to Finn in worry.

The other simply sighed, shaking their head. "No clue. They joke and stuff but... it can't be good. They have to have realized by now that we might not be going home, right?"

Rowan hummed, the stars suddenly seeming duller. "They won't like that."

"Neither do I," Finn stated quietly, their mother coming to mind. "Certain people are stressed all the time, the universe depending on them won't help any."

"And remember when Chayse was gone from home for two months and cried every night? She's only been able to handle this because we're basically her family, but just a week in space... planets away from Michigan. It'll tear her apart. I'm sure it's the same with the others."

Rowan's rambles caused bags to form underneath Finn's usually bright eyes, and they pulled their knees to their chest. A soft knock sounded from behind the two as Miles foot hit the door, his unconscious body trying to turn with the limited space.

"We have to protect them." Finn felt an odd feeling course through their skin, one almost alien, but ignored it as Rowan turned to them.

He stared at them a moment, before slowly nodding. "Yeah, of course. But... how?"

"I- I'm not sure," Finn admitted, "but we just have to. We're the adults, we promised their parents we would keep them safe. And, y'know... if what Allura says is true, then sooner or later we'll have mass weapons of destruction on our hands."

"Yeah, about that–" Rowan cut himself off as Finn's back snapped straight, their eyes widening. He scrambled to his feet when Finn stood to theirs, before laughing nervously. This had happened twice before, in front of his very eyes. "Uh, I guess it's sooner rather than later for you?"

Finn stood stock still for a minute or two, Ro staring at them nervously. It soon became too creepy, so he poked their arm with caution. Perhaps it only made the situation escalate further.

"I don't know which one it is," Finn gasped, blinded by the gleaming and robotic yellow eyes seared into their mind. Ro could barely hear them over the very audible roar that shook the ground, a few bats fleeing across the night sky. "I don't know which Lion it is."

"Guys what the fuck is all that fucking noise I was having a good ass—" Finn ignored Miles' groggy complaints, leaving the task to Rowan as they began sprinting across the road. They were met with a cry of protest, but unhappily ignored it as an unknown force beckoned them forward.

The interior of the Castle was ominous, only soft blue lights leading Finn's way down the corridors. Their mind became hazy, trying to keep track of directions all while the loud buzzing grew louder. They finally stopped, only when a voice practically screamed from behind them.

"Finn!" The mentioned whirled on their feet, being met with the distraught face of the Princess, adorned with bed hair and her sleeping attire. "I've been chasing you for the past—"

"I don't know which one it is" Finn interrupted. Their mouth was set in a deep frown and their hair stuck up in all directions, the alien caught off by the way their eyes screamed in fear.

"Of course you do," Allura assured softly, her usual cold tone gone.

"No, I don't– I don't want to—"

"That was Green. You have to know which way she is."

Finn paused for a moment, chest heaving. The buzzing only intensified as they tried to reject the presence's advances, so finally they caved in. They put the heel of their palm to their forehead, and rubbed deeply before brushing several locks of hair away from their face.

"This way," Finn stated, turning around and continuing on. They didn't run, walking at a brisk pace as Allura trailed behind. It took several minutes and several stops for Finn to find their way to their Lion's hangar, but soon they stood in front of the cascading blue forcefield.

"They're just kids," Finn mumbled.

"I'm sorry?" Allura hummed, pulling her silk-like robe against her chest tighter. Finn looked over their shoulder, locking eyes with the alien princess.

"Miles and Lia and Chayse. They're just kids. The same went for four of your previous soldiers. Did they really handle it as well as you believe? Does anyone?" They waited for an answer, but was only met with a shocked and irritating silence.

The blue barrier was smooth, letting out the slightest of shocks as Finn pressed their hand against it. It came crashing down instantly, a breeze pushing back and leaving the object inside exposed. The animal inside let out a guttural cry once before, before bending down and unhinging its jaw.

"Finn," Allura sighed. She frowned when the 18 year old did not turn around, back rigid as they stared into the eyes of the beast. "Perhaps they don't. But they have to."

At that, Finn's body swayed, and they took a step forward. And then another. They didn't hunch their back or trip once, keeping up the facade as they stalked towards their prey. They didn't loose their footing as the Lion sat upright, making their way to the cockpit as it came naturally.

Green lights washed over Finn's pale skin, the atmosphere becoming silent and suffocating as the two beings took each other in. The human sat down in the plush seat, not reaching for the control sticks as they rose towards them.

The newest Paladin gave up for a brief moment, loud sobs of defeat escaping where no one but their Lion could see.

★★★
i wrote this at 11pm on a school night when i was half asleep so sorry finn, hope it did you justice i love you sm 💖💖✨ . and sorry it was published a half hour late, i didnt get home from school as soon as i thot i would sksksk

but this chapter is dedicated to rowan , the third person in the babs i met! ro, i cant even explain how much i love you. i love exchanging headcanons and sending each other countless amounts of instagram posts, and i cant wait until amira and amal meet each other 💖💖✨💞