Chapter 12

Is it always like that?❞
I ask, breathless.
❝No,❞ he says.
❝It's never like that.❞
ㅡEverything Everything, Nicola Yoon

Chapter 12
It's Never Like That
HYUNJOO

He kissed me slow and quick at first. My whole face was burning as I stared into his eyes. He took the glass of milkshake and put it away, then he came back to me. He leaned towards me and he put his soft lips against mine again. I closed my eyes and I hear nothing but the loud beating of my heart.

I held on tightly to the fabric of his shirt to his waist. I was not sure where to put my hands on. I supposed this is not the right way yet I couldn't think straight. Everything went smoothly and I wondered how I've never kissed anyone before if it is this good. I wondered how many good things in life I am still missing.

When we pulled apart, we catch our breaths. "Woah," Hongseok muttered.

I blushed and buried my face on his chest. There, I feel it. The beat of his heartㅡas fast as mine. He chuckled softly and lifts my head up. "That 'woah' means you are amazing."

I closed my eyes and bit my lip to keep myself from smiling so wide. I feel so shy, it would have killed me if only I don't feel so alive at the moment.

I felt him kiss the tip of my nose quickly. "Open your eyes or I'll kiss you again." he said.

I quickly opened my eyes even though I don't think I would mind kissing him again.

He's smiling so bright. It's worth more than gold. He took my hands and wrapped my arms around his neck. He caressed my hair and then his arms encircled my waist, pulling me closer to him. I suddenly felt so body-conscious. "There's this book I read where the boy kissed the girl. It was her first, and after that, she askedㅡ'is it always like that?' The boy replied, 'No, it's never like that.'" he said in a whisper as if he would wake up every living thing in the world if he talked a little louder. He traced the shape of my eyebrow so fondly. "I didn't understand his answer. Kisses are all the same. I thought, oh right, another fictional thing," his eyes met mine and then he smiled. "But I guess I understand what he meant now." he kissed me again and I forget everything for a while.

Because when Yang Hongseok kisses you, he makes you feel so beautiful you forget about all your insecurities.

"Everything Everything," I said after the kiss.

"What?" he asked, absent-mindedly.

I smiled. "The book you read."

#

Hongseok and I sat by the couch, this time, much closer than before. He took my hand and slowly entwined it with his. I still can't believe we are doing this.

"Aren't you going to ask why I ran away?" he asked later.

"I thought maybe you want to keep it private. I mean, it could be a sensitive matter."

"I've planned this for quite a while. Getting away from everything else." he said gently as if he's starting to be sleepy yet also trying to stay awake. But he had a cup of coffee.

"With the RV and all the food?" I said, "You did a good planning."

He chuckled and kissed my knuckles. It sent the slightest shock all over my body. "Thank my parents for giving me all the material things I needed or wanted."