Chapter 24

Chapter 24
Hate-Loving
HYUNJOO

I pulled on swimming shorts over the one-piece swimsuit I wore. I looked over at the waterpark from the changing rooms and I can't believe I'm here. Alone.

It's the nearest and cheapest waterpark I know. The entrance is about 20,000 won but apparently, they were offering a discount because people are starting to stray away from waterparks, considering everyone else are busy preparing for school or college and the adults go back to work. Vacation is over. Happy time is over.

I walked self-consciously to the nearest pool and sat there for a few minutes, trying to figure out how deep it is. And then thinking about how it would have been like if Hongseok was here. And then getting sick of always thinking about him when I should be moving on. I'm trying to move on. I slowly soaked myself in the pool and was surprised of how cold the water felt like in the beginning. I can't swim so I just wandered around the edges. I'm jealous of the kids who can swan-dive and those who stand underwater upside down.

I self-consciously touched my dry hair as a kid eyed it for so long, and when she left, I immediately pinched my nose, closed my eyes and sank underwater. Slowly, I opened my eyes and watched legs and feet swam under the surface of water. I tried to hold gravity as I closed my eyes again and enjoyed the silence. I felt so far, so far away from the worldㅡuntil somebody poked me on my arm and gestured if I'm okay. I resurfaced and hardly caught my breath. How long was that? The guy resurfaced as well.

"Are you alright?" he asked, genuine concern on his face.

I nodded shyly. He looked around my age and really good looking. He smiled at me. "Okay. I just thought you weren't resurfacing again. You held your breath for so long."

I did? He was watching me? I blinked and tried to push away the hair on my face. I must look like Sadako right now.

"Oops." he said. "That sounded creepy. But I swear I'm notㅡstalking or anything."

I smiled a little. "It's okay. Thanks."

He nodded and swam away.

I was glad he caredㅡbecause I almost lost myself there.

I got off the pool and wrapped myself in towel. I bought coned strawberry and vanilla ice cream as I sat on a bedrest, watching people make the most of the last week of summer.

The guy from earlier were pushed by his friends on a tall slide and screamed all the way down. I found myself grinning as if I was the one there. I grabbed my bag and took my phone out.

24-Hour Drama

holychloé: ugh. dreading school already.

trishawesome96: dreading the storm here. the hurricane suspended all school and job activities.

holychloé: is it that bad? :O

trishawesome96: yeah but nothing new. storms destroy this country several times a year.

holychloé: damn. stay safe, trisha.

trishawesome96: i wonder how hyunjoo is doing :( she seemed really upset about hongseok the last time.

holychloé: jerk :(

jjangHJ: hi guys!!

trishawesome96: JO HYUNJOO!!!!!

holychloé: BITCH YOU'RE ALIVE!?

jjangHJ: sorry. haven't talked to you both in so long.