Chapter 28

Chapter 28
Why Aren't We Together?
HYUNJOO

I buried the letter in my chest. I listened to the sound of raindrops and blinked my eyes several times so I won't cry.

If he loved me, then why did he look for someone else?

I wiped my tears away and folded the letter neatly, placing it back inside my drawer.

Why aren't we together?

My heart felt so physically heavy that I sat back down on my bed, my knees feeling wobbly. The question kept echoing in my head.

We're literally in one country, in one city. Why aren't we together?

Before I knew it, I was grabbing my phone from the study table and I was calling him.

It rings.
And then it goes to the voicemail.

I shut my eyes tightly and the silence was almost unbearable.

Why aren't we together?

#

HONGSEOK

Wooseok and Kele busied themselves on their homework. We're in a coffeeshop and I called Wooseok to meet up, and he brought his girlfriend with him but they've been having their own worlds.

"Guys," I called.

"Hm?" Wooseok asked, typing on his laptop.

"Both of you."

"What?" Kele asked, not moving her eyes from her notes.

"GUYS!"

They both looked at me in surprise. "Sorry." Kele apologized quickly.

Wooseok typed some more before shutting his laptop close. He looked like he hasn't gotten any sleep at all.

"Don't you have any work to do?" he asked me.

I frowned. "I do."

He sighed. "Is this about how you can't focus? Is this about Hyunjoo?"

Kele gasped, looking at me wide-eyed. "IS IT?" she asked with full interest.

"You really had to say that?" I told Wooseok.

He grinned sheepishly.

"I don't understand why you guys aren't together!" Kele said and then with a grin creeping out of her lips, she added, "I meant you... and Hyunjoo, not you and Wooㅡ"

"Don't say it!" Wooseok warned.

She giggled and nudged at him. As if happy couples don't annoy me enough in the campus, my friend brought his girlfriend unintentionally showing how happy they are with each other.

Wooseok sighed and grabbed a salted nacho, feeding himself. "Why aren't you and Hyunjoo together? I thought you both would have fixed it before summer ended! You are dragging this longer than it should have been!"

"You think it's easy?" I snickered.

Kele frowned. "If you just talked to her properlyㅡ"