Maggie Sawyer.

Maggie Sawyer was heartbroken. The tough-as-nails NCPD officer had been without her girlfriend for two years, and the passing time only intensified her pain. She had gutted her way through the moments when the loneliness was gnawing at her, imagining that Alex was fighting her battle too, and they could each win their wars. She would be reunited with Alex again someday, and she would tell her all the things she had kept to herself. Maggie knew that she loved Alex unconditionally, more than anyone that had come before her. They completed each other, one hell of a fighting duo, relying on their strengths and covering their weaknesses. That's why it felt like a piece of Maggie had been physically ripped out of her, a gaping hole that burned with an unrelenting fire.

Some nights, she would forget that Alex was gone. She would snuggle under the covers of her bed, murmuring a sleepy 'good night', and when she received no answer, her eyes fluttered open to gaze at the empty pillow next to her, instead of warm hazel eyes twinkling with happiness. Other times, she'd make coffee and breakfast for two, and it would be twenty minutes of undisturbed solitude before the sinking feeling returned in her chest, tugging on her sore heartstrings and reminding her that everything had changed. Worst of all was when she called Alex's phone out of habit if she had some idle time, and with each consecutive ring, her false hope that Alex would pick up faded away. The sound of her girlfriend's voice in the voicemail always hit Maggie like a sucker punch, guaranteed to knock the wind out of her and leave a sharp coldness in her heart. She missed Alex terribly. Life was simply unbearable without the love of her life by her side. So, it was within perfect reason that Maggie was asleep at a DEO desk after working nonstop for three days when a lead on Alex was dug up.

Her slumber was interrupted as she was roughly awoken, a pair of hands jostling her shoulders. Groggily, she raised her head, yawning. "What's the matter?" She asked the DEO agent adjacent to her, who looked so enthusiastic that he might split his face if he grinned any wider.

"Agent Danvers-" He paused, then corrected himself. "Alex is back. We found her."

Maggie didn't respond, as though her brain had short-circuited. She let the words sink in. Alex was alive. The woman she loved with all her heart had survived two years as a prisoner, and she was here again. Maggie looked up, her eyes glistening with tears. "Take me to her."

* * * *

The gracious DEO agent, who Maggie had learned was named Riley, had offered to drive her to the hospital. Maggie accepted thankfully, for her hands were vibrating, heart slamming fiercely, and her head was spinning, inefficiently processing the information that she had been told. She was on her way to see Alex, who had been missing for the longest two years of her life. The lost half of her heart was about to be reconnected with her. She had envisioned that same situation countless times, but the reality was a lot scarier, and it intimidated Maggie. She had no idea if Alex was injured or capable of doing any sort of physical activity, or if she was still as mentally adept as she used to be. Maggie knew that the Alex she was going to reunite with would not be the same Alex that she was familiar with, and that thought was daunting. She didn't know if they would be able to restore what they once had. If that was the case, what would she do without her, not being able to satisfy her or make her truly happy? The questions clustered together in a giant mass of nerves and uncertainty, gripping Maggie with tendrils of fear, expressed on her body through her clenched fists, nails biting into the delicate skin of her palms.

Riley's voice was a wake-up call. "Maggie, we're here."

Maggie exhaled deliberately, her hands unfolding as she stepped out of the car. She gazed up at the hospital looming over her, warning her to stay away.

"This way." Riley gestured, indicating Maggie to follow.

The dark-haired woman gulped as the automatic doors slid open, allowing their passage into the building, as she was instantly struck by malignant vibes.