Chapter 10: Where do we go from here?

And I don't know why I'm even still here
Can't shake it off, I've been here for years on top of years
And I, I'm ready to, I'm ready to, be off of you
'Cause I admit, that baby I, I just may be stuck on you

~Flashback~

Ryan

Out of all the classes she had to get assigned to the same one as me. I barely paid any attention in class because I kept feeling Sami staring at me. I noticed out of the corner of my eye Angel was looking anxious like she was waiting for something bad to happen. This is awkward as hell. I needed a distraction. I made sure the teacher wasn't looking and pulled out my cell to text Angel.

You OK?

No, we need to talk.

Ok we can talk during lunch.

I'm going off campus with Janelle. Let's just meet at my house after school.

The look of anxiousness slowly moved off Angel's face as she read my text. I could tell by looking at her she was uneasy. The moment the bell rang I hightailed out off the classroom. The quicker I get away from Sami the better.

~During Lunch~

"So let me get this straight. Sami is back and begged for another chance", said my best friend Trevor.

Trevor and I have known each other since kindergarten

Trevor and I have known each other since kindergarten. Whenever I needed him he's always had my back and vice versa. He's never been a fan of Sami to begin with.

"I still don't like her ass for how she played you".

"I know. Why did she have to come back now? Things between Angel and I were going good until Sami came back".

"Speaking of Angel, when are you going to stop playing and make things official. She's not going to keep waiting around for you".

"Whatever. We're both OK with not being serious. It's not like we're in a rush for anything".

"Anyway enough of all this sappy shit. What's going on with Angel's friend Janelle? She single"?

Before I had a chance to answer I noticed Sami making her way over to us.

"Ryan we need to talk".

"So... you're just gonna walk up and act like you don't see me? Rude".

She rolled her eyes and continued to ignore him. I swear whenever they are around each other they act childish.

"Yeah we can talk, let's go over to a different corner".

I feel like this is a conversation that is long overdue. I'm tired of this girl messing with my head whenever she pleases.

"What's up"?

"Really? Is that all you have to say to me? I'm sorry that I hurt you. I was selfish. I'm not trying to make excuses for what I did. I was wrong. I just hope that one day you will be able to forgive me, and maybe one day we can get passed this and be together again".

I just stared at her for a few moments. Having her back brought up feelings and memories that I thought I had buried a long time ago. I would've never hurt her the way she hurt me. I can tell that she was genuine and in a way things worked out the way they were supposed to. We don't need to be together.

"Thank you for finally saying that. I didn't know how bad I needed to hear that until now. I forgive you, but we don't need to get back together. I met this girl and I really like her. I was afraid to move on completely and make things official because of how things went down between us two. She deserves more than what I've given her".

Sami had tears in her eyes that she refused to let fall. I don't know what hurt her more, me saying how we weren't getting back together, or me moving on.

"Well I hope she makes you happy. You deserve it".

~Present~

I pull up to Angel's house after school just like we agreed. I don't know why I'm so nervous. She seemed really tense this morning, I hope everything is OK. Walking up to the front door and ringing the bell I can't help but replay the conversation I had with Sami. Things ended a lot better than I thought it would have. As soon as Angel opened the door I knew I made the right choice regarding Sami. Damn she's beautiful inside and out.

 Damn she's beautiful inside and out

"Hey, have a seat. I'll be there shortly".

She went into the kitchen and opened the fridge. I saw her pull out two cans of Sprite. She walked towards me with a smile on her face and handed me my Sprite.

" What did you need to talk to me about"?

She got really nervous all of a sudden. She started to play with the opening of the can as a distraction. Whenever she's uncomfortable she tends to not make eye contact and has to do something with her hands.

"What are we?"

Her voice was so quiet I almost didn't hear her. Almost.

"I really like you Ryan and I'm tired of  not making things clear between us. I accidentally overheard you and Sami arguing while I was at your house. I don't want to push you if you aren't ready for something serious yet. Just tell me that. I can't continue to be blind in this situation..."

I just stared at her for a moment. This girl deserved so much more than I've been giving her. Where do we go from here? As she kept talking all I could do was think of the only way I could get her to let me talk.

I leaned over her making sure we kept eye contact. She looked at me with her big brown eyes and I couldn't resist. Slowly I placed a sweet gentle kiss to her lips. I intertwined our hands together and gave her knuckles a kiss. Looking into her eyes I knew this is where I want to be.

"OK, we're official".

This is a good place to stop. I apologise for my absence, but I needed to take some much needed time away from writing to get my thoughts together. I switched majors and started a new school so I've been focused on that. Thank you for the encouraging words while I was away. The book will be ending soon. I spent years trying to finish it.