Chapter 1

Skyla

It was a big moment for me as long I can remember. The big Adulthood Ceremony. 

It reminds of our Viking families who came before us and left us so we could find our own destines and find our place where we belong in the world.

Ryic and Eric sat within the crowd, beaming with pride, as they were looking forward of seeing me taking part of the major event.

Even though they already had their totems, I was actually nervous about receiving mine.

It seems an honor to stand in presence of Gothi, the Elder of our village.

As the Elder and the rest of the tribe paid their respects to the Spirits, a little girl couldn't help herself and went to Gothi to greet her in person.

"Gothi!" The little girl said in happiness, as the Elder notices her.

"Oh, hello there, sweetheart. What a big girl you have grown today!" She greeted the young girl.

Then she begin the ritual.

"Today embarks a special day for one of our people.

The Spirits have given us totems to help us guide us through our lives, helping us fulfill our destiny of who we meant to be.

  Some of us need courage to guide us..." 

A man points to his son with pride. 

"Others receive peace and patience. " Gothi continues as she hands the girl towards her mother and her family. 

"Some of us beauty." The crowd laughs at her comment. 

"Skyla." I hear my name call forth as she paints some coming of age symbols on my face.

"You nervous?" She asks.

"Gothi, I was nervous, but I'm not now, knowing that this would change everything." I replied to the Elder with trying to sound not nervous at all.

Gothi chuckles, "Good! It is a good one!" 

My eyes were filled with excitement for what my Totem would be. 

Gothi explained of what happened during her visit to the Spirits of Valhalla.

"Skyla, I have travelled to the Mountain where the Spirits roam, and they have revealed to me your Totem.

To become a woman, your actions are to be use in one particle thing." 

The crowd looks in wonder, as Gothi was about to reveal it to the whole village.

"Your Totem is... Love!" Revealing a Night Fury carved stone.

I was totally confused. 

"The Night Fury of Love?" I asked, looking at my two older brothers.

Ryic shrugs as he knew it was strange as Eric chuckles slightly at me.

"Gothi.. I'm confused." 

"Skyla, Love is the most powerful thing. 

It transcends to different meanings. 

Let Love guide your actions, and one day, you'll be a woman, and you will place your mark, just like our ancestors did in the past." 

I look at the wall of the handprints of our Viking Ancestors as Gothi smiled as she raises my hand in triumph.

My brothers and the throng cheers in happiness.