Chapter 9: Suspicious

A month has gone by since the Quidditch match, and it is officially close to Christmas. It also has been an entire month since I spoke, or in my case wrote, to Draco. Since the Quidditch game, Draco stays with a group of Slytherins while I am either with my brother and his friends or I'm by myself. The only time that I can hang out with Hermione is when I am with Harry and Weasel. Every day, I keep glancing at Draco with a sad expression because even though he was being very mean I still think of him as my friend. Occasionally, I will catch Draco looking at me but when he notices that I see him looking at me he turns back to his group. I don't know if it is me being optimistic but I'm hoping that him glancing at me as well means that he feels the same way. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I should be the bigger person and talk to him first but I feel like I shouldn't have to. I did nothing wrong.

Pushing those thoughts out of my mind, I look out one of the windows in the dining hall that is decorated with Christmas ornaments. I will admit that Hogwarts loves to decorate for this holiday more so than the other holidays. Snow is piling up on the grounds of the school and people are walking with their suitcases packed for those that are going home for winter break. Of course, my big brother and I are staying at the school for Christmas and so is the Weasel, unfortunately. Even sadder news is that Hermione is going back to the Muggle world for her winter break. Back in September, Hermione told me that her parents were muggles and worked as dentists.

Speaking of my brunette friend, she just so happens to enter the dining hall with her suitcase in hand. I wave my hand and she smiles at me before walking over to my table. After giving her a hug, we look over at my brother and his friend while they play the wizard version of chess. Unlike the muggles way of playing chess, wizard's chess has the chess pieces move on their own, the players still have to call out the spot they want the pieces to go to, and the chess pieces come to life. Once they come to life they destroy the other piece that is on the square that they are landing on. So far from the looks of the board, it looks like the Weasel is beating my brother in this round. When Hermione observes that the pieces destroy each other her mouth drops open in shock and disgust.

"That is totally barbaric!" Hermione says while Ron looks smug at the way the game is heading. I nod my head in agreement with her words while I continue to watch the chess pieces.

"That's wizard's chess," the red-head says before looking down and noticing her suitcase, "I see you've packed."

"I see you haven't." Hermione replies and I chuckle silently before looking out the window again. Unlike other people, I absolutely love everything that has to do with winter and snow. The perfect temperature for me is in the lower sixties and I always wish for a white Christmas. It looks like I'm getting my wish this year! Oh! Maybe on Christmas Eve I could go out and play in the snow with my brother! That sounds like a wonderful idea and it reminds me of those classic Christmas movies that the Dursleys played around this time of the year.

"-My parents are taking a trip to Romania to visit my brother, Charlie," weasel's voice breaks through my happy thoughts and my happiness instantly shrivels up. Rolling my eyes, I start to wonder if I should leave them alone; however, any idea of leaving leaves my brain when I hear Hermione's words.

"Good! Then you can help Harry look through the library for any information regarding Nicholas Flamel," she tells him while he looks like the idea of the library is actually disgusting to him. The Weasel whines to my friend that they already checked the library like a hundred times. I swear I'm a nice person but lately, that boy has been grinding my gears. While sighing at the boy's behavior, I notice that Hermione leaned against the table and whispers to us, "Not in the Restricted section. Happy Christmas!"

After she walks away from us, I decided to head back to the Slytherin commons and hug my brother goodbye before leaving. Walking towards the dungeons, I stop in front of a window and look out towards the Forbidden Forest. The forest is just covered with snow and a peaceful sigh escapes my pale lips. While looking out the window, a thought crosses my mind that I sadly didn't think about for a while now. Is Nightshade alright? I haven't seen him since opening the cage that night a few months ago. Honestly, I miss that beautiful guy even though I only had him for a short amount of time. Maybe that should be my Christmas wish for this year.