Chapter 14: Trials

Thankfully, I didn't sleep for another three days, instead, I woke up just in time for dinner. Sluggishly, I get up from the hospital bed and made my way towards the dining hall. I don't understand why everything must be so far apart! Literally, for ten minutes I wander around the halls before I finally found the moving staircases. For Godric's sake, there better be some food still there when I get to the hall! I stop dead in my tracks when I memory came into my mind. The person who is after the stone will try taking it tonight! A gasp escapes my lips as I quickly pick up my pace. I will not allow for this stunt to happen when this school has done so much for me without even trying. This school gave me friends, nice people, and the opportunity to see my brother smile.

By the time I reach the dining hall people are finishing their dinner and moving on to desserts. Smiling at Draco for a split second, I walk over to the Gryffindor table and over to my brother. I smile at Hermione before focusing all my attention on my brother.

"Are you going after the Sorcerer's Stone tonight?" I ask him through the link. He looks at me and nods his head. While he is still sitting down, he hugs me around my stomach and I smile as I hug him back. "I am alright, big brother. I just needed some sleep that's all. I'm going with you to protect the Sorcerer's Stone." He goes to protest but I stop him with a glance and he sighs before nodding his head.

"Fine, but you are going to stay near me," my big brother says to me and I nod my head with a smile on my face. Hugging him one more time, I head over to the Slytherin table and sit next to my best friend. Unfortunately for the both of us, that Slytherin girl that pushed me earlier, Pansy I think, is sitting on the other side of Draco. She keeps trying to talk to Draco, but he just ignores her and starts to talk to me. Smiling, I would write down my replies, but I also try to involve Pansy into the conversations. I mean, yes, she pushed me and isn't very nice but, maybe, I could make her my friend. It is, of course, the nice thing to do as well and maybe she is mean because that is the only way she knows how to make friends. Sadly, she gives me a glare before going back to her food and not even try talking to Draco again for the rest of the night.

For the rest of dinner, I debate internally if I should tell Draco about what I am going to do tonight, but I decided against it. I know that if I tell him about the Sorcerer's Stone then he would totally be against me going with everyone else. After everyone turns in for the night, I wait until midnight before quietly getting out of my bed and head towards the dormitory door. Unfortunately, I can't go very far because a noise stops me in my tracks. The noise almost sounds like someone is getting out of a creaky bed. Slowly turning around, I come face to face with the one and only Pansy.

"Where do you think you're going, mute?" she spits at me and I step back in shock at the amount of hatred in her voice. I shrug before heading out of the dormitory. Hopefully, she will just go back to bed and not care about what I'm doing. Unfortunately, fate is against me at the moment and I hear her footsteps following behind me.

"Hey, don't ignore me, freak!" she shrieks, and I sigh as I try to stay polite to this fellow girl. Stopping in front of the couch in the commons, I turn around to find Pansy an arm's length away from me. Her face is contorted in anger while I keep a friendly smile on my face.

"I bet you are going to see those stupid Gryffindors. How are you even in Slytherin? You are nothing but a mute who has no friends. I bet Draco is only your friend because he feels sorry for you," Pansy smirks and my smile slowly disappears as she says each word. For some reason, I don't feel anything. No anger and no sadness. Nothing but the emptiness that is quickly devouring my thinking process and leaving only her words echoing in my head. She has no right to say any of those things. A spell rises from the depths of my memories and without even thinking about it, I grab my wand from my wand holster. As if in a trance, my hand points my wand at this mean girl and say the spell in my head, "Obliviate!"