Chapter 10: Mirror of Erised

"Why do you think that this mirror is in an empty room, big brother?" I ask him through our mind link as I continue to stare at the mirror. He shakes his head and walks toward the mirror with myself trailing behind him. I walk to the side of it as I look at the frame that the mirror is in. I actually like the looks of the mirror because it looks very antique looking. The one thing that I learned about myself in this past school year, besides the fact that I'm a witch, is that I absolutely love antique or old looking things. I delicately touch the frame and run my fingers up it as I feel the cold smooth metal underneath my touch. Movement in the mirror catches my attention as I notice Harry walking in front of it. He looks up to the top of the mirror frame and looks like he is reading something. Confusion wraps around me as I look up to the top of the frame as well and read what it says.

"Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi," the words whisper throughout my mind as I continue to stare at it. Well, that definitely doesn't look like English so it could be a different language that I have never seen before. At the same time, if it was a different language then wouldn't it most likely be in a different alphabet than the English one. I don't mean that every language has different characters than English ones but those specific words look like they would be in different characters. Another possibility is that considering that this is a mirror it could be words written backward. In which case the words would be, 'Desire arts urhe tyo ebu urfac tyo no ishow.' It has to be words written backward because 'desire' and 'I show' appear right after I spelled the words the other way. Maybe, the words are written backward and from right to left instead of the English standard of reading from left to right. After a second of trying to read it from right to left, this pops into my head, 'I show not your face but your heart's desire.' An overwhelming feeling of accomplishment passes through me and I have to hold back the urging to pat myself on the back for figuring it out, but I do allow a happy smile to appear on my face. I guess this is what the mirror does and I look down at the mirror again.

My older twin looks at the mirror with wide eyes as he moves even closer to it. Glancing at the mirror to see what caught his attention, all I see is his reflection but as I look back at Harry I notice that his eyes flicker back and forth as if he sees someone. Before I can ask him who he sees, my big brother says two words that make my heart clench painfully.

"Mom? Dad?" he whispers quietly as he continues to look in the mirror. I understand that this would be his heart's desire and probably mine as well. He turns and looks over his shoulders before looking back at the mirror. Tears gather in my gold eyes as I continue to watch my brother react to 'seeing' our parents. I wonder what my parents look like because we have never even seen a picture of them. Harry reaches forward and lets his hand touch the surface of the mirror before retracting the limb back to himself after a minute. A few seconds later, he looks down at his left shoulder for a second before looking back to the left of the mirror. Slowly, a happy smile appears on his face before rushing towards the invisibility cloak that lays forgotten in front of the door.

"Big brother? Where are you going?" I quickly ask him through the link as he throws the cloak around his shoulders. He explains that he is going to grab the Weasel so that way he can see our parents as well. He leaves through the door before I could even try to explain to him what this mirror actually does.

Sighing, I turn towards the mirror before slowly walking in front of it. I assume that I would also see my parents in the mirror unless there is something else my heart desires more. An adult woman with long straight hair is standing to my left as a man with short hair and glasses is standing to my right. Right next to me is my twin brother who looks like a carbon copy of the adult male. All four of us are smiling and I am hugging my brother tightly with him hugging me back. The tears that were in my eyes this whole time, finally fall down my face before hitting the cold stone floor below me. I kind of already knew that my deepest desire is to be in a happy family but it still makes me really sad. I mean in this world I am alone with my brother and we are not in a happy family nor will we ever be. In this mirror world, my brother and I are living with our parents and we are one big happy family.