Prologue

The Isle of Berk, home to stubborn, smelly, and usually very grumpy groups of hardy sea-faring people known as vikings, was a very unusual place. Berk is roughly twelve days north of Hopeless and a few degrees south of Freezing to Death. If you were to use a map, you'd find Berk located in the Meridian of Misery. Berk is usually a nice and relaxing place. You could go fishing, swimming, and enjoy the amazing views of the sunset. Unless you have problems with the pests. In other places, people have concerns with rats and roaches. But here in Berk? You had to be armed to the teeth if you so much as stepped outside. Where other people contend with roaches, Berkians had to deal with...

"DRAGONS!!!" A bearded male viking screamed just as he narrowly dodged a Monstrous Nightmare blasting fire at him. Dragons were flying around blasting every house on the island while the vikings tried to fend the winged fire-breathing reptiles off. Catapults were going off, launching huge rocks at the invading dragons. One catapult fired a boulder smack-dab into a group of Gronckles. Deadly Nadders swooped down and grabbed sheep in their talons, shaking off the angry vikings that tried to stop them. A bunch of vikings threw themselves at a Monstrous Nightmare, punching it in the face. The dragon was unphased and simply threw them off like they were a couple of empty rice sacks. One viking was (hilariously) carried off by a giant flock of Terrible Terrors. Fighting dragons was extremely dangerous, but if you're a viking, then it's simply a occupational hazard for you.

***

On this fateful night, a male Stormcutter had broken into a large house. He snarled, looking for something to take with him and yet he found a terrified woman standing at a table. She had dark brown hair that was bundled into a long braid and wore a one-piece loin cloth dress that covered her completely. She was nine months pregnant, apparant from the largeness of her stomach. The Stormcutter watched as the woman tried to hold up a small dagger in a attempt to protect herself, but the dragon didn't flinch. He suddenly lost all his tension, his pupils were dilating to giant circles. He must have sensed this woman wasn't a threat and approached her calmly. The woman slowly put down her weapon, staring into the dragon's eyes. She saw her very soul reflected in the dragon's eyes like a mirror. The Stormcutter and the woman stared at each other for a few moments before the woman's husband bashed through the door and chucked a axe at the dragon. The burly viking was big in size, sporting a massive auborn beard that reached his stomach. The Stormcutter snarled as he dodged, blasting a spiraling torrent of flame at the viking. As the husband tried to put out the flames, the Stormcutter unfolded his four massive wings and quickly grabbed the woman in his talons and flew off into the night sky.

"NOOOO! VALKA!!!" The husband screamed, a look of terror and sorrow etched on his face as he watched his beloved wife be carried off by a dragon.

"STOICK!!" Valka cried out. As soon as they saw the Stormcutter, the other dragons aborted the attack and followed him, disappearing into the night sky. Stoick stared at the sky, falling to his knees in despair.

"..... Valka, I'm so sorry...." Stoick weeped.

***

Valka was afraid. She was being carried off by a dragon to Thor knows where. Hundreds of dragons were flying close to the Stormcutter, making Valka even more uneasy. Suddenly, Valka began to grunt loudly in pain. She realized the baby inside of her was beginning to kick.

Oh Thor, please not here.

Valka prayed to the gods her baby would stay still until she got to land. After what seemed like days, Valka noticed she was being carried to what appears to be a gigantic ice fortress of some kind. The Stormcutter dove into a huge crevice in the ice, followed by the other dragons. After a series of twists and turns, the dragons reached their destination. Inside of the ice was a world all on its own. Hundreds upon hundreds of dragons lived together in peace, some were flying around a giant rock spiral. Dragons of every species cuddled up in large cavern-like dens embedded in the massive walls of the fortress. The Stormcutter landed, putting Valka down on a soft patch of grass. Valka stood there, speechless. She never seen anything more beautiful in her entire life. Vikings have been ranting about how dragons were violent and vicious creatures when here, every dragon in this fortress were peacefully mingling with one another regardless of their species. A baby Gronckle was playing with a couple of baby Hobblegrunts while groups of Snafflefangs, Deadly Nadders, Shovelhelms, and Sand Wraiths were quietly vocalizing amongst one another as if they were simply talking. A deep rumble echoed across the fortress, causing all the dragons to stop and turn around. To Valka's surprise and shock, a enormous white dragon rose from the massive pool of water inside the center of the fortress. Two massive tusks elongated from both sides of the dragon's mouth. All the dragons bowed to the giant, compelling Valka to do the same. Suddenly, Valka let out a pained shout that nearly turned into a scream. She fell backwards, breathing heavily while grunting loudly. As Valka clutched her stomach, one thought entered her mind faster than a lightning bolt striking a tree: Valka was going into labor. Fear was taking over again, but it was fear for her child. If the child is born here, the dragons would probably view it as a food source. Before she could think of anything, she felt a much more sharper, painful pang that triggered her to scream. The dragons watched in curiosity at the event unfolding in front of them. For a lengthy seven minutes, Valka struggled through a series of deep breathing, panting, and shouting until finally she gave one last push while screaming very loudly. Valka felt the searing pain leaving her body, and laid her head back to take a breather.

***

It was not long until the defeaning cries of a newborn child caused Valka to lift her head up again. Valka gasped as she quickly picked up a tiny squirming newborn infant boy and cradled him in her arms. He was such a tiny thing, and yet he cried so loudly. After a moment, the infant ceased crying and opened his eyes for the first time. He had the most beautiful emerald-green eyes. Valka smiled warmly, feeling streams of tears running down her cheek. She gently stroked his messy auborn brown hair, which reminded her of Stoick's beard. The Stormcutter sniffed the infant before looking at Valka in the eyes. Valka looked at the infant once more, her smile becoming wider within each second.

"Hello... Hiccup..." Valka said quietly, kissing the newborn's forehead lovingly. A group of dragons approached Valka slowly, trying to appear as calm and non-threatening as possible. One of the dragons, a large Hobblegrunt, approached Valka while carrying a egg the color of night. Valka watched with interest as it placed the egg at her feet. Moments later, the black egg began to shake, cracks forming on the surface. Finally, the egg bursted into pieces, revealing a tiny male Night Fury hatchling tumbling forward while attempting to stand up. He was the color of night, and he had big beautiful emerald-green eyes just like Hiccup. Valka's heart melted a second time when the hatchling sneezed hard enough to knock him backwards. Using holding Hiccup in one hand, Valka used the other to pick up the infant Night Fury. The hatchling looked at Hiccup, sticking his tongue out and cocking his head to the side. In a bout of playfulness, the hatching began to lick Hiccup's  face. Little Hiccup laughed, earning a chuckle from Valka. Valka sighed, knowing well she'd raise Hiccup away from other vikings. What choice did she really have? Looking at the sky, Valka hopes that one day she and her son will bring her family together again. One day....