Chapter 12

Hiccup and Toothless swerved to the right, barely missing a fire blast. Koda angrily yelled as his Smoldering Flamewing kept blasting fire at the duo. Making a 180 degree turn, Toothless flew straight towards the Smoldering Flamewing and fired multitudes of plasma blasts at it. Unphased, the Smoldering Flamewing roared as it swung its massive tail, throwing Toothless and Hiccup off course. The duo slammed into a rock pillar, yelping painfully. Toothless moved out of the way as the Smoldering Flamewing tried to bite him. Hiccup yelped as the red dragon snapped its jaws at him. Toothless snarled, flapping his wings harder and picking up speed. Koda yelled loudly, smacking his dragon with the hilt of his sword.

"FLY FASTER!!!" Koda yelled. The Smoldering Flamewing snarled as it increased its speed as well, flying next to Hiccup and Toothless. It blasted fire at the duo, forcing them to bank to the right. Hiccup grabbed his staff, scowling at Koda.

"Get me closer, Toothless!" Hiccup said. Toothless growled and veered towards the Smoldering Flamewing, giving Hiccup enough leverage to strike Koda. Hiccup swung his staff, clashing with Koda's sword.

"YOU CAN'T TAKE OUR HOME!!" Hiccup yelled.

"I WILL, ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!!!" Koda replied, swinging his sword in a violent manner. With a powerful strike, Koda sliced Hiccup's staff in two. Hiccup yelped, dropping his destroyed weapon. Koda punched Hiccup in the face, throwing him off Toothless. Hiccup screamed, but was quickly saved by Toothless.

"Thanks, bud..." Hiccup said as he climbed back on Toothless. The Smoldering Flamewing rammed straight into the duo, sending them spiraling out of control. Toothless smashed into another pillar, roaring out painfully. The Smoldering Flamewing roared as it dived straight at the Night Fury. Toothless fired a plasma blast at the Smoldering Flamewing's face, throwing it off course. Koda yelled as his dragon smashed into a mountain.

"Hit them with all you got!" Hiccup exclaimed. Toothless clamped his jaws on the Smoldering Flamewing's head, snarling viciously. He tried to slash the dragon with his claws, but he found the armored scales to be too tough to penetrate. The Smoldering Flamewing roared and shook its head, throwing Toothless off. Toothless dove between pillars, trying to shake off the dragon. Right as Toothless made a right turn, the Smoldering Flamewing rammed the Night Fury once again, this time clamping its jaws on Toothless neck and sinking its teeth into his scaly skin. Toothless began writhing, screeching loudly in pain while desperately trying to rip himself free.

"TOOTHLESS!!" Hiccup yelled.

"YES! HEAR THE NIGHT FURY'S SCREAMS OF AGONY!!!" Koda yelled. Toothless clamped his jaws on the Smoldering Flamewing's throat in desperation. Without thinking, Toothless fired a plasma blast at the dragon's throat as a last resort. The Smoldering Flamewing roared painfully as it let go of Toothless. Hiccup and Toothless smashed into a pillar as they tried to regain altitude. Hiccup felt his heart crumble as he looked at the massive wounds Toothless sustained.

"It'll... it'll be alright, bud. Hold on, we gotta finish this..." Hiccup said. Toothless winced painfully as he struggled to remain aloft. Hiccup spotted Koda and his dragon making a beeline towards them. He had no choice but to charge Koda head on. Toothless roared angrily, firing more plasma blasts at the Smoldering Flamewing. The red dragon roared as it tried to deflect the blasts, roaring painfully as it was sent spiraling into a mountain.

"GAAAHH! WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOU?! SHRUG OFF THOSE ATTACKS AND KILL THEM!!" Koda yelled.

"Toothless, fly." Hiccup said. Pushing through the pain, Toothless began climbing higher into the sky with the Smoldering Flamewing in pursuit. The duo climbed higher and higher, looking back to see Koda and his dragon trailing behind them. Hiccup scowled, placing a hand on Toothless' head.

"DIVEBOMB, NOW!" Hiccup exclaimed. Toothless snarled and dived straight down, barreling towards the Smoldering Flamewing. He fired a massive plasma blast, using the force of the blast to throw the Smoldering Flamewing off course. Angry and hurt, the Smoldering Flamewing dived towards Toothless and Hiccup while roaring. Toothless flipped over on his back, roaring at the Smoldering Flamewing.

"Wait for it, bud..." Hiccup said.

"FINISH THEM OFF NOW!!!" Koda screamed. The Smoldering Flamewing snarled as it opened its jaws, charging up another fire blast.

"NOW!!" Hiccup yelled. Toothless fired a massive plasma blast straight into the Smoldering Flamewing's jaws, creating a massive explosion. The explosion prematurely ignited the gas, setting fire inside the dragon's throat. Almost immediately, the Smoldering Flamewing was engulfed in fire.

"AAAAAAAHHHHH! NOOOOO!!!" Koda screamed as he, too, ignited in flames. Toothless dodged out of the Smoldering Flamewing's way as it plummeted towards the ground, roaring in agony. With a resounding BOOM!, the Smoldering Flamewing crashed into the ground. The crash triggered a massive explosion that wiped out the area surrounding it.

"RETREAT!!" Yelled Koda's lieutenant. All of Koda's soldiers made a run for the hills, climbing onto whatever boat was still intact and sailing off. The Berkians yelled in victory, head-butting one another in celebration.

"We did it, bud!" Hiccup exclaimed. But his victory was short-lived when he noticed Toothless was loosing control.

"Toothless?!" Hiccup asked fervently. Toothless let out a weak and pained groan, plummeting towards the ground. His wounds had weakened the Night Fury greatly, causing him to lose consciousness. Hiccup screamed as he and Toothless smashed into a forest, sliding towards a hill. Toothless violently smashed into a huge oak tree, creating enough force to send Hiccup somersaulting into a bunch of trees. Laying painfully on the forest floor, Hiccup could barely crawl as he flipped himself on his stomach. Hiccup felt so much pain in his left leg, he couldn't even feel it. But that didn't matter to Hiccup, because he saw Toothless motionlessly sprawled on the ground near him.

"T-TOOTHLESS...!" Hiccup exclaimed, screaming in pain as he attempted to reach his beloved dragon. Unfortunately, his efforts were futile. Hiccup grew too weak to move, feeling his own consciousness wavering. He flopped on the floor, feeling his eyes growing heavier by the second.

"Toothless..." Was the only thing Hiccup could whisper before he blacked out.