Chapter 1

Five years went by. In that time, little Hiccup grew into a adventurous little boy. And growing alongside him was his Night Fury, Toothless (whom was named after Valka discovered Night Furies can retract their teeth). The duo were inseperable, little Toothless would always be following Hiccup around like a puppy following its master. Hiccup had been spending the day following a dung beetle, crawling on the ground to mimic its movements. Toothless did the same, yet he found himself constantly bumping into Hiccup.

"Toothless! Be careful! We have to be extra quiet if we wanna catch that beetle!" Hiccup said. Toothless warbled a little before following Hiccup towards a huge log. The dung beetle sat there, rubbing its front legs together like a fly. Toothless quietly snuck up on the insect, shaking his butt while entering a pouncing position. Hiccup, too, got low. He was about to jump on that little beetle like a cat.

"Hiccup!" Hollered Valka. Hiccup watched as the dung beetle hurriedly flew off, startled.

"Awww.... Coming, mom..." Hiccup called back, running towards the direction he came with Toothless in tow. The duo entered a large den occupied by two straw sleeping mats, a cauldron made out of smooth stones, Valka, and the Stormcutter (who was now named Cloudjumper). Valka was cooking something when she turned around, watching Hiccup and Toothless walk in.

"Hiccup, you're all dirty. What were you doing outside?" Valka asked.

"Me and Toothless were looking for bugs to add to my bug collection, mom! We were so close to catching that dung beetle..." Hiccup replied. Cloudjumper walked up to Hiccup and licked him thoroughly, getting most of the dirt off him.

"BLAH! BLECH! EWW, CLOUDJUMPER!" Hiccup exclaimed, covered in dragon spit.

"Well, I guess that's one way to clean up..." Valka said, barely stiffling a laugh. Hiccup wore a unamused expression, flinging a large drop of spit in Cloudjumper's face after he himself laughed. Valka picked up the spit-covered five year old and sat down on a elevated rock, stroking his hair and kissing his forehead.

"Mom, where's dad?" Hiccup asked. Valka stiffened at the question, sitting still for a split second before recollecting herself.

"Your father went on this really long voyage to find a giant pile of pirate treasure..." Valka lied, a silent sigh escaping her lips. Hiccup just giggled at her response.

"A giant pile of pirate treasure? Why couldn't I go with him?" Hiccup asked.

"Oh, that's because only the manliest vikings go after the treasure. And your father, Stoick the Vast, is the manliest viking I know." Valka replied.

"I can be manly too!" Hiccup said, trying to stand tall and proud. Valka let out a soft laugh before pulling the boy into another hug.

"You are just like your father..." Valka said, smiling as Hiccup hugged her back.

"I love you, mom." Hiccup said.

"I love you too, Hiccup." Valka replied. Hiccup and Valka watched with amusement as Toothless attempted to drag Cloudjumper by his horn. A very unamused Cloudjumper simply got up and walked around, dragging the tiny Night Fury with him. Outside the den, dragons began to bellow and rally around the rock pillar. The gigantic Bewilderbeast roared as it exited the fortress via a massive hole leading outside.

"Hiccup, are you hungry?" Valka asked. Hiccup simply nodded.

"Good. It's feeding time."

***

The freezing air whipped and lashed around in a wild manner, as if it were throwing a massive fit. Yet, both Valka and Hiccup welcomed the near-freezing breeze. They lived here for so long, at this point they didn't even notice it was cold. Flying has become Hiccup's favorite pastime ever since the day Valka allowed him to ride Cloudjumper when the boy was less than two years of age. Of course, she had to ride Cloudjumper herself while keeping a eye on Hiccup the entire time. Valka held on tight to Hiccup and Toothless as they rode on Cloudjumper's back. Toothless sat on his haunches and let his tongue dangle freely in the wind, the ear-like appendages on his head whipping with the rhythm of the wind. Hiccup looked down at the ocean, watching in awe as the great shadow of the Bewilderbeast rushed towards the water's surface. With a shocking burst of speed for a dragon of his gargantuan size, the Bewilderbeast shot out of the water and blasted thousands of fish into the air with one powerful breath. All of the smaller dragons entered a feeding frenzy, flying around in wild and hungry patterns while catching as many fish as possible. Cloudjumper flew in a zigzag motion, catching a mouthful of fish in his jaws. Toothless tried to mimic the Stormcutter, rearing on his hind legs and opening his mouth wide. He managed to catch a huge salmon in his jaws, only for the slippery fish to leap out of his grasp. Valka and Hiccup laughed as Toothless sat there with a baffled expression on his face. After an hour, Valka and Hiccup flew home to cook up some lunch.