Chapter 2

On Berk, things weren't so jolly and warm. While everything was rebuilt and the residents were back to normal, Stoick remained.... stoic. He hadn't smiled ever since the night Valka was taken. The viking chief sat on a bench in the Great Hall, drinking from a large mug. The massive doors to the Great Hall opened and a viking of forty-five years walked in. He was partially bald, covering his head with a rusty gun-metal grey horned helmet. The viking bore a brillant golden mustache that had one end slightly longer than the other. He was moderately obese and a wielded a prosthetic right arm (which was currently outfitted with a hammer) and a wooden peg-leg replacing his left foot. He sat down next to Stoick, tapping his knees quietly.

"So... I've, uh, been wondering... Do you ha-"

"No, Gobber. I don't have time for anything. I'm busy." Stoick said, cutting off Gobber's question. Gobber lifted an eyebrow.

"Busy with what? You spent the entire morning grieving and drinking yak milk in here!" Gobber exclaimed. Stoick turned to Gobber, giving him a nasty death glare.

"..... Okay, I'm sorry. I was being a little insensitive. I'm broken up about the incident too, but you can't spend your days in here. You need to get out there and be Berk's chieftain." Gobber said.

"Gobber, leave me alone..." Stoick mused.

"Stoick, there's a tiny chance she survived..." Gobber said.

"Gobber, she's dead." Stoick stated firmly.

"You don't know that."

"Yes, I do."

"No, you don't."

"Yes, I do!"

"No, you don't!" Gobber piped up. He sighed, rubbing his forehead.

"Stoick, I hate to see you so... defeated, so deflated. This isn't you. Years ago, you were Stoick the Vast. The mightiest man alive, the almighty chief of Berk, the guy who struck fear in the hearts of dragons just by looking at them. Now you're all.... this." Gobber said.

"You just gestured to all of me." Stoick said.

"Exactly!" Gobber replied. The two vikings stood in silence for a few moments.

"Berk needs you, Stoick. I'm sorry about her. You'll bounce right back in no time." Gobber said, patting Stoick on the shoulder and walking out of the hall. Stoick sat there, watching the doors shut. He sighed, taking off his helmet and rubbing his auborn brown hair.

***

Near the Bewilderbeast's lair lay several hot springs where the dragons would use to heat up when it got too cold. Valka and Hiccup both laughed as Cloudjumper floated upon a hot spring. Floating on hot springs was another pastime of Hiccup's, one that earned a close second to flying. Toothless felt the wind blow under his little wings and began flapping them, trying to gain altitude. At first, the little Night Fury managed to float just two feet off Cloudjumper. But almost immediately, Toothless had veered to the left, accidentally flinging himself on a Windgnasher. Toothless, being the little show-off he is, decided to own the moment and stood on the Windgnasher's head while striking a dominant pose. Toothless turned to Hiccup and Valka, giving them his signature gummy smile. Valka and Hiccup laughed even harder. After a while, Toothless managed to float back to Hiccup and sat on Cloudjumper's head as Valka steered the Stormcutter home.

***

Later on at home, Valka was preparing dinner for her and Hiccup. The little boy was only a few feet away, playing with Toothless. Hiccup giggled excitedly as Toothless tried to jump on him and lick his face. Hiccup ran around, laughing as Toothless began to chase after him. Hiccup was running so fast, he failed to notice the small rock jutting out from the dirt. The boy tripped over the rock, tumbling helplessly on the grass. Hiccup sat up, feeling his knee stinging with pain.

"Mommy!" Hiccup wailed. Valka immediately stopped what she was doing, running towards Hiccup. He was sobbing, looking at a bleeding cut on his knee.

"Oh, Thor... What happened?" Valka asked, picking up the boy.

"M-Me and Toothless.... were playing.... then I fell.... and got hurt." Hiccup replied through little sobs. Valka grabbed a cloth she forged out of a tree and gently cleaned the blood from the wound. With her indez finger, Valka wiped the tears from Hiccup's eyes. The loving look in Valka's eyes ceased Hiccup's tears.

"Don't cry, Hiccup. I'm here." Valka softly said, pulling Hiccup into a hug.

"I will never leave you...."