Chapter 4

Hiccup stared at the armed men with uneasiness. He took a glance at Toothless, who made a guard jump back after the Night Fury snapped at him.

"Release the net, and tie up the boy and his dragon!" Boomed a deep voice. The men removed the net from the duo, binding Hiccup's hands together with thick ropes and slapping tight chains and a muzzle on Toothless. The ship's crew moved to the side, giving way to a tall and heavily muscular man wearing a silver suit of armor. His hair was a light-grey, being bundled up in a short braid. His face was rough and worn, decorated by a huge bushy mustache. His eyes were a bright orange mixed with a slight hint of crimson. His eyes flashed angrily with the burning ferocity of fire. He looked like a older version of Stoick, but even more intimidating. The man glared at Hiccup, unsheathing a huge sword from a holder. He held the blade-tip at Hiccup's throat, causing Hiccup to sweat profusely.

"What is your name, dragon rider?" The man asked.

"I'm Hiccup... Should I know your name?" Hiccup replied. The man narrowed his eyes.

"My name? You want to know my name? Very well, then. The last thing you infidels should hear upon their deaths is the name that strikes fear in the hearts of all creatures great and small. I am... Koda Whitemane." Koda replied.

"Oh great, you're one of the dramatic guys. Though, you do have a interesting name. I thought it'd be more terrifying like "Steve" or "Bob". You know what? "Ted" is a great name to give people terrible nightmares."

"Don't mock my name, child!"

"Anyway, are you planning to throw me in some disgusting jail cell or making me your slave. Hey, maybe you can do both. And let me guess, you're planning on killing my dragon too?" Hiccup sarcastically inquired.

"The Night Fury? He would make a excellent throw rug." Koda replied, earning a muffled snarl from Toothless.

"Look, Mr. Koda.... Whitemane? We aren't looking for trouble. We were just taking a little flight, that's all." Hiccup said. Koda just scoffed.

"Oh, yes... And your little dragon rider friend was just cruising along while she destroyed my boats, freed the slaves I kept, and humiliated me for years!" Koda retorted.

"Wait, what other... Are you talking about my mother?" Hiccup asked.

"Hold on, you are the son of Valka and Stoick the Vast?" Koda asked, bursting into a roaring fit of laughter. Hiccup frowned as Koda continued laughing.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Your father must have prayed for a son, yet his wife gave him a talking fishbone! He must be ashamed to have you as his heir." Koda said in a insulting tone. Hiccup frowned even more.

"Well, I'm not sure how my father feels about me. I never met him." Hiccup said. Koda laughed even harder at Hiccup's statement.

"Take aim." Koda ordered. The men aimed their crossbows at Hiccup.

"Ready..." Koda began. Hiccup closed his eyes anxiously, hearing Toothless let out a muffled roar and pull at the chains vigorously while trying to free himself and save Hiccup. Right as Koda was about to order the men to fire, Cloudjumper dived towards the ship and blasted it with fury. Valka was wearing her light leather armor, wielding a long curved staff.

"Mom!" Hiccup called out.

"Hiccup, I'm coming!" Valka shouted, turning Cloudjumper around towards the ship again.

"SHOOT HER DOWN!!!" Koda yelled. Koda's men began firing metal arrows at Valka and Cloudjumper, but they dodged effortlessly. Hiccup kicked a guard down and grabbed his sword, slicing the ropes binding his hands. He then broke the chains holding Toothless and removed his muzzle.

"Come on, bud. We gotta get out of here." Hiccup said, mounting Toothless' back. More of Koda's men whipped out their swords and axes and charged at the duo. Toothless simply opened his jaws and fired a plasma blast at them, sending the armed guards flying into the ocean. Toothless spreaded his wings and took off into the air, regrouping with Valka.

"Hiccup, what were you thinking?! How could even think of going near that madman's ship?!" Valka questioned.

"Don't blame me! He's the one that interrupted our joyride." Hiccup replied. Koda's men began to pull a few giant metal catapults loaded with massive metal spheres out to the ship's deck.

"FIRE THE CATAPULTS!" Koda commanded. The catapults began to chuck the metal spears at Valka and Hiccup.

"LOOK OUT!" Hiccup yelled, motioning Toothless to weave to the side. Cloudjumper narrowly dodged a metal sphere, taking a sharp  left. Cloudjumper made a sudden sharp veer to the left after dodging, accidentally throwing Valka off. She fell through the air, but was quickly saved when Toothless dived next her, allowing Hiccup to pull his mother on the Night Fury's back.

"Thanks, Hiccup..." Valka said.

"WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU?! SHOOT THEM DOWN!" Koda yelled. His men kept firing the metal projectiles at Hiccup, forcing him and Toothles to dodge once more. Cloudjumper tried to regroup with his rider, but was halted when a projectile smashed straight into him. The Stormcutter helplessly plummeted into the ocean, disappearing from sight.

"No!" Valka exclaimed. She watched her dragon sink lifelessly into the watery depths. As Valka and Hiccup looked on mournfully, Koda's men all gathered together and fired a giant cluster of arrows at them. Toothless immediately weaved and barrelled out of the arrows' path without getting a single scratch.

"Good job, bud." Hiccup said.

"H-Hiccup..." Valka softly gasped. Hiccup turned around, and to his horror, saw a arrow planted straight in Valka's chest. Valka suddenly slid off Toothless' back, falling towards the ground

"NOOO!!!!!" Hiccup screamed, jumping off Toothless and diving straight for Valka. He reached out his hands, grabbing his mother's hands. Toothless dived towards the two, grabbing Hiccup and Valka and wrapping his wings around them. Toothless smashed into the pebbled floor of the nearby island, skidding to a stop after bouncing on the hard ground. Toothless unfolded his wings, getting up as Hiccup laid Valka on her back.

"Mom, you're going to be okay! Stay with me.." Hiccup said. Valka weakly placed a hand on Hiccup's cheek, tears rolling down both of their faces. She slowly reached for her neck and grabbed a silver necklace bearing a purple gem from her neck, weakly handing it over to Hiccup.

"Your... Your father gave me this... necklace... on the day of our... w-wedding. Take it, Hiccup." Valka weakly spoke. Hiccup hesitated for a moment before reluctantly taking the necklace.Valka suddenly let out a dying gasp as her head faltered to the ground, her eyes slowly drooping down until they shut for good.

"Mom... No, mom! Stay with me! MOM!!" Hiccup exclaimed. He began to vigorously shake her.

"PLEASE... STAY WITH ME... MOM... MOOOM... DON'T.... DON'T LEAVE ME... PLEASE!" Hiccup wailed. Toothless began nudging Valka's hand with his snout, whining. Hiccup stopped trying to wake Valka and flopped over her, breaking into loud and violent sobs.

"RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!!!" Hiccup screamed, unable to control his sobbing. Toothless lowered himself to the ground, watching Hiccup let out sorrowful screamed. Hiccup spent forty minutes sobbing and wailing, only to be stopped by the deafening call of Koda's ship's horn. Hiccup turned around, seeing Koda's men approaching. Without hesitation, Hiccup got up and grabbing a large rock. Hiccup gritted his teeth, beginning to run at the men.

"AAAAAAAAAAGHHHHH!!!" Screamed Hiccup. He threw the rock in rage, but he was too far for it to hit its mark. The soldiers began firing arrows at Hiccup, but Toothless quickly deflected the projectiles with his wings. Grabbing Hiccup by his pants, Toothless unfolded his wings and took off into the sky.

"TOOTHLESS, LET ME GO! LET ME GO RIGHT NOW!!!" Hiccup screamed. Toothless knew better than to let Hiccup blindly attack armed soldiers. He ignored Hiccup and kept flying until they were out of Koda's sight. Koda gritted his teeth angrily.

"How dare that shameful rat run from me!" Koda angrily stated. He jumped on the ship, punching the mast.

"EVERYONE, ON THE SHIP NOW!" Koda ordered. The soldiers boarded the ship as it departed from the island and sailed off elsewhere.