Chapter 5

Hiccup and Toothless had resided on a remote island for a couple of days, far from any human civilization. One afternoon while Toothless was busy catching a trout in the ocean, Hiccup sat nearby at the water's edge and slowly dabbled his finger in it. He was quiet, staring at little yellow and black fish darting around a coral reef. After a moment, Hiccup took out the necklace and stared at it intently. As he stared at the trinket, Hiccup suddenly felt warm air blowing on his neck and turned to see Toothless standing behind the man.

"I'm.... I'm sorry for screaming at you, bud. It wasn't your fault...." Hiccup apologized, embracing Toothless in a hug. Suddenly, Toothless' "ears" perked up, detecting faint voices. He growled, causing Hiccup to look in the direction Toothless was staring at.

"Someone's here? We gotta hide." Hiccup said. He and Toothless dove into a bundle of bushes. The duo peeked through the leaves, watching a group of vikings around Hiccup's age walking into the area.

"We've been walking for hours. I'm so tired! Can we just stop for a moment?" Complained the male black-haired viking with the muscular build, fur vest, and ram-esque helmet.

"Snotlout, we've been walking for literally two minutes. I think you can handle a little more exercise." Scolded the blonde female viking wearing a red sleeveless shirt, a red band on her head, and fur bracers covering her arms.

"But where is there? Gobber told us it was east of the river and we arrived to the destination but he isn't there. You haven't told us anything except 'We're almost there'". The fat male viking said. He wore a huge fur outfit and a helmet with horns that reminded Hiccup of a Gronckle's ears.

"Maybe we'll find a dragon to kill!"

"Or maybe Bigfoot!"

"What if we run into a shirtless man wearing furry pants?" Said the two long-haired twin vikings. They looked so much alike, you wouldn't have known one of them was a woman. Hiccup glared at the strangers, clutching a staff he crafted out of wood and stone just a hour ago. When the vikings turned their backs, Hiccup walked out of the bushes and pointed his staff at them.

"Ahem." Hiccup loudly cleared his throat. The vikings turned around, seeing Hiccup. The fat viking shrieked as he dropped his little map booklet.

"I knew there was a shirtless man! I totally called it!" The male twin exclaimed. The bossy female viking whipped out her axe and raised it in a battle-ready position.

"Have you been spying on us this whole time?" The female viking questioned.

"I have. You're trespassing on my home and I do not like unwanted visitors. Before I kick all of you out of here, tell me your names." Hiccup replied. The black-haired viking scoffed at Hiccup statement and approached him.

"Yeah, like you could kick us out with those scraw-" The viking was cut off when Hiccup grabbed his leg with the staff and flipped the viking over on his back effortlessly.

"Wow, he's stronger than I anticipated...." The viking groggily admitted.

"NAMES, NOW!" Hiccup firmly demanded.

"Alright, alright.... I'm Astrid, the ego-maniac on the floor is Snotlout. The fat one's Fishlegs, and the twins are Ruffnut and Tuffnut." Astrid replied. Hiccup narrowed his eyes as he lowered his staff.

"By any chance, are any of you affiliated with Koda Whitemane?" Hiccup asked.

"Koda Who-mane?" Snoulout asked in return.

"No, we're not. We don't even know who this Koda Whitemane is." Astrid answered. She closely inspected Hiccup. For a skinny man, he was very well built.

"Hey, we told you our names. Now you gotta spill yours." Astrid said.

"It's Hiccup." Hiccup replied. "My warning is still in effect. Leave now."

"Look, Hiccup. We didn't intend on trespassing here. We're just training with Gobber in a valley nearby." Astrid argued. Hiccup furrowed his brow.

"Guys, I think we should listen to this Hiccup guy and leave..." Fishlegs cowardly suggested.

"I don't know. I kinda wanna stay and stare at him. He's hot." Ruffnut dreamily said. Snotlout got up, crossing his arms.

"Seriously, Hiccup. What are you gonna do if we don't leave? Sic a dragon on us?" Snotlout asked rudely. At that moment, Toothless jumped out of the bushes while roaring loudly. The vikings jumped back in surprise.

"HE ACTUALLY HAS A DRAGON!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!" Snotlout screamed, hiding behind a terrified Fishlegs.

"EAT FISHLEGS, HE'S BEEFY AND DELICIOUS!" Snotlout cried out.

"HEY!" Fishlegs exclaimed.

"You all have a choice: Leave, or be disemboweled by my furious Night Fury." Hiccup said.

"That is a NIGHT FURY?!" Astrid questioned.

"Nobody ever seen one! The Book of Dragons states that Night Furies are the deadliest and most secretive dragons on Berk! The "Unholy Offspring of lightning and death itself" if you will. How did you train him?" Fishlegs exclaimed, a sudden burst of excitement overcoming the initial fear.

"Train him? I grew up with Toothless my entire life. He's a brother to me." Hiccup replied, scratching Toothless' chin. He noticed everyone was staring at Toothless and raised his eyebrow.

"Don't wanna leave? Fine. I won't try and kick you out. But, Toothless isn't the only dragon on this island. Don't come crying to me when a Monstrous Nightmare attacks you. Come on, bud." Hiccup said, disappearing into the bushes with Toothless.