Chapter 13

Hiccup let out a weak groan, slowly opening his eyes. He noticed he was somewhere warm and cozy. Shifting his body, he felt the soft, comforting sensation of a bed. Hiccup looked around, finally realizing he was in somebody's house. Hiccup turned his head to the left, jumping right as he saw Gobber sitting on a chair near the bed.

"Aagh..! Gobber?!" Hiccup exclaimed.

"Easy, lad. You're okay. We brought you to your father's house." Gobber said. Hiccup sighed with relief.

At least I'm not in some stranger's home...

Hiccup sat up, groaning in pain. His whole body was racking with pain.

"Easy, Hiccup. You just barely survived a serious crash." Gobber said. Hiccup sighed as he laid back down, shifting his legs. He then gasped when he couldn't feel his left leg.

"Gobber, I can't feel my left leg...!" Hiccup stated in alarm.

"Okay, calm down! Uh... hehe... funny story. You might have.... lost your leg in the crash..." Gobber stated. Hiccup removed the covers of the bed and gasped in horror at what he saw: a metal prosthetic leg had replaced the lower half of his left leg. Hiccup exhaled harshly and leaned back on the head-rest, trying to take in what just happened.

"..... Like I said, it was a serious crash." Gobber solemnly, giving Hiccup a sorrowful look.

"Where's Toothless...?" Hiccup asked.

"I'm surprised he wasn't the first thing you saw." Gobber stated. Hiccup turned to the right to see Toothless peacefully sleeping on the floor. As if he sensed Hiccup, Toothless lifted his head and looked at him.

"Toothless!" Hiccup excitedly exclaimed. Immediately, Toothless jumped on Hiccup and began licking his face.

"GAH! WHAT IS IT WITH THE LICKING?!" Hiccup exclaimed while laughing. Hiccup noticed several large cloth bandages were wrapped around Toothless' neck, where the bite wounds were.
"Stoick personally saw to it that your dragon was mended to when we found you both." Gobber explained. As if on cue, Stoick walked inside the house, a sigh of relief escaping his mouth after he saw Hiccup.

"Hiccup...!" Stoick exclaimed, walking towards Hiccup.

"How are you feeling?" Stoick asked.

"Alive." Hiccup bluntly replied.

"Good. You're gonna be ecstatic when I reveal a little surprise for you! Come on." Stoick said, walking out the door. Hiccup slowly made his way off the bed, stumbling awkwardly. Toothless caught Hiccup right as he fell backwards.

"Thanks, bud." Hiccup said. He looked at Toothless' tail, noticing only one of his tail-fins were intact.

"You too, huh?" Hiccup asked. Toothless let out a soft warble in reply. Gobber helped Toothless walk Hiccup outside, having Hiccup take one step at a time. As Hiccup stepped outside, what he saw left him speechless: Everyone in Berk had a dragon.

"So, what do you think? You like it?" Stoick asked.

"It's amazing! How did you do it?" Hiccup replied.

"I just figured after watching you and the other young vikings ride dragons, maybe we all should follow by example." Stoick said. Astrid and the other vikings ran up to Hiccup and Toothless, with Astrid embracing Hiccup in a hug. Hiccup smiled as he returned the gesture. Out of nowhere, Tuffnut tackle-hugged Toothless like a child running to his dad.

"HAHA! I finally petted a Night Fury!" Tuffnut exclaimed. Toothless snorted and shoved Tuffnut off him with enough force to send him flying into the ground. Gobber approached Hiccup with a saddle that connected to a red artificial tail-fin with a viking insignia stitched on it.

"Figured you might need this for flying." Gobber suggested. Hiccup smiled as he strapped the saddle and prosthetic fin on Toothless, who happily bounced around like a excited puppy. Hiccup mounted his dragon, looking to the side as Astrid and the others mounted their dragons. With a flap of his wings, Toothless took off into the sky with the other Dragon Riders. Together, all six riders and their dragons flew towards the horizon, laughing gleefully. Hiccup leaned back, feeling the wind in his face.

He was home.