Chapter Seven

Jack slowly walked around the marketplace, trying to think of something Little Wolf might like. He had felt bad about being late that past few weeks, but reading class had forced him to be late. His father said he will be grateful in the future for being able to read, so Jack did not complain. Out loud, that is. He decided to get her something to say sorry, but also to celebrate the beginning of her hunter training in the wolf pack.

He had known Little Wolf for two years, he knew just how much it had meant to her to be offered the position of a pack hunter. From what she told him, she sounded to be good at it as well, so he figured she deserved it. His eyes flickered over the many different merchant stalls. Merchants from far away were visiting the kingdom for the next three weeks, so Jack wanted to take advantage of that when choosing a present. He did not want to get something he could get normally, but something special. Something that could last forever, or at least for a long time.

A stall with small wooden animals caught his attention. A man was advertising them. Jack quickly walked towards the stall. The merchant was quick to notice Jack and quickly beckoned him over.

"ello son! Anything you lookin' for? I got some nice animal charms. Bring you some good luck." Little Wolf would need luck for her hunter training, even though she is good a hunting anyways, Jack thought. His eyes flickered over the arrangement of small wooden charms, wondering which one Little Wolf might want. A wolf, of course. His eyes darted around, in search of a wolf charm. He was quick to find one and carefully reached his hand out, lifting it up.

"How much?" He asked the merchant, not taking his eyes off the wooden charm.

"These are the finest charms you'll find for miles. Carved perfectly with a touch of luck. Sixty seven silver, I will not go any lower. But, for eighty three silver I'll throw in a leather band, so you don't have to hold onto it." Jack's eyes narrowed. It was quite a bit for such a small charm, but it was for Little Wolf.

Jack nodded his head, reaching into his pocket for the necessary coins. "Deal, charm and band." The merchant's eyes lit up and he quickly look the charm. Jack placed the silver coins on the merchant table and waited. Moments passed and the merchant handed Jack the charm, which was now attached to a band of black leather. It was good quality, Jack would admit.

"Say, you're the hunter's son, Raolin Grosvenor. No wonder you could afford it, kid." Jack nodded stiffly, turning away from the merchant. He began to walk away. Jack did not like it when people referred to him as the hunter's son. Sure, he was Raolin Grosvenor's son, but that was it. He was his own person, not his father's shadow. Jack sighed, running a hand through his hair. One day he would get out of his father's shadow. One day, he would be Jack Grosvenor, famous, whatever he did when he was older, not Jack Grosvenor, Raolin Grosvenor's son.

"Little Wolf! Little Wolf!" The young boy with dark hair called. He stood at the edge of the shadowy forest. His eyes peered into the woods, squinting as he struggled to see, he had once again been late due to reading class. He waited and waited, but was only met with silence. Confusion crossed his face. Was she coming? He wanted to give her the charm today, so he hoped she was not held up by hunter training.

"Little Wolf?" He called out again. He waited for a few moments again. His attention was then caught by the rustling of the bushes. A few more moments passed, then the redheaded girl appeared. Her green and blue eyes were bright with joy. She moves towards Jack, walking on all fours like a wolf. This surprised him a bit, normally she leapt down from a tree.

"So-rry. Hunter training. We went down to the ri-ver so ca-tch fissh." Jack sat down on the tree stump.

"It's okay. I was late too." He said with a shrug. She smiled, clearly relieved to see that he did not mind.

"I brought you something. It's to say sorry about being late so much and to say congratulations on starting your hunting training." He took out the small wolf charm with the leather band around it. Her eyes lit up, happy about the gift.

"Tha-nk you, J-ack." She took the charm in her hands and studied it, a grin on her face. She undid the band and wrapped it around her ankle. She snapped the two ends of the leather back together. The leather band was wrapped around her ankle, like a bracelet, but on her ankle. the wooden wolf charm could easily be seen, as she did not wear socks or shoes.

"The merchant said it brings good luck. I know it isn't actually true but, I thought it was nice to at least pretend it brings good luck." Her smile grew as she stared down at the small charm.

"You did not spend too mu-ch, right?" She asked, looking up at him.

"Do not worry about how much I spent. I wanted to get you something. Do not think about repaying me either. I know that look Little Wolf. Do not try to hide anything from me." She glared playfully at Jack.

"Know me too welll." Jack chuckled.

"Well, you have been my best friend the past two years. Course I know you. Just like you know me." He reached over and ruffled her hair.

They spend the next few hours talking as normal. Fire-Flower was laying on her back, staring up at the sky while Jack sat on the tree stump.

"What do you think your future will be like?" Jack asked.

"I not know. Starlight says I cannot have pups, as I am diff-er-ent. So pr-o-bab-ly server my pack best I can. What a-bout you?" She turned her gaze from the sky to him.

"I'm not to sure right now. I have to finish school first. I think I will decide while in school though. I want to become famous through out that land though. Prove I am me and not my father's shadow." Fire-Flower nodded. She did wonder why he felt he lived in his father's shadow, but thought it was best not to ask.

"If you do not mind me asking Little Wolf, do you know how you came upon the wolf pack. Surely you did not just always live with them?"

"True. Starlight says she fou-nd me in the forest. She took me in and raised me. Neither they nor I know wh-ere I am from. Nor to I ca-re to kn-ow." Jack nodded. It made some sense that she did not wish to know who her true parents were. They abandoned her for all she knew, but that probably had their reasons, so Jack did not blame her parents. Whoever they were.