Chapter Twenty-Two

The hunters returned to the castle late that night, Jack figured it was around eleven. The hunters were still congratulating each other, happy about the fact that they had succeeded in convincing the wolves to be on their side. Jack opened the double doors of the castle entrance, the group quickly walking through the courtyard and into the castle. They entered the castle, stopping in their tracks when they noticed who stood before them.

Raolin stood, a lantern in hand, an angry expression on his face. Joel stood beside him, a sort of smirk on his face.

"Due explain where you have all been. I would love to hear all of your sides of the story. Joel claims you went the speak with the wolves to create an alliance?" Jack swallowed, a nervous chill running down his spine. His father finding out about their attempt to restore peace was his worst fear. This was a nightmare coming true.

"You go out into the middle of the night? And with the help of the, elle loup fille--" Raolin rolled his eyes when he spoke of the rumored wolf girl.

"This is very serious. The wolves are not your allies, but your enemies."

"Dad, no there are not. They are--"

"Silence!" Raolin cut him off, his eyes blazing with anger.

"You all must know, this crime is punishable, by death. If this news were to reach the king's ears, well." His tone of voice was almost taunting, like he were making fun of them for believing the wolves could be good.

"But, I will not tell the king, if, you do as I say." Raolin but emphasis on the 'if.'

"What do you want then?" Thatcher spoke up, looking at Raolin fearlessly.

"End your alliance with the wolves. In seven days time me and my hunters will head out to kill the beasts, once and for all. You all will fight with us, betray the wolves. You will all live in riches and glory if you do. Jack, you will live like a king! You will be a king, as you will marry Princess Alia once the roi des loups Coeur de Lion is dead. It will be killed by you, Jack. Understood all of you?"

"And if we do not do as you say?"

"Then you will all die. I will tell the king, and he will sentence you all to death." Raolin smirked, an evil gleam in his eyes.

"So, what do we do? Raolin threatened us, he's the real enemy! No offense Jack, but he is the actual enemy, not the wolves!" Thatcher said, looking around at his fellow hunters and les cavaliers loup.

"Perhaps... well, you cannot go along with the original plan now." Ruben murmured.

"Can you get in contact with the wolves in anyway?" Ruben asked, looking up at Jack.

"I could, but it would be hard with Raolin. You all would have to cover for me." Jack answered, referring to the hunters he commanded. Ruben nodded.

"Perhaps you could all act like you are on Raolin's side. Then, when he leads you all to battle, turn on him and fight alongside the wolves. The wolves with naturally need to know of the double betrayal you have planned, otherwise they might attack you." The hunters all turned their attention to Jack, who had the final call if they would go through with the plan. They would be fighting, and perhaps killing, Raolin and his hunters, no one knew if Jack would be fine with this.

"My father is blinded by greed. We will go through with this plan, but no one speak of it to anyone. Act as if you are to kill the wolves. Act like you hate them. I will need to tell Fire-Flower the plan, which I will do tomorrow." The hunters cheered, happy to know they had a plan. It seemed foolproof.

"We will restore peace, even if it means shedding a bit of blood!"