FOUR

"So..." Derek says, trailing off as he looks at me expectantly.

"So?" I reply knowing how much it annoys him.

As expected, he rolls his eyes. "What are you going to do?" He asks.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, what are you going to do with the mate situation?" He says, annoyance lacing his words.

"Nothing. Obviously I can't be with him, so I will just carry on living like I didn't just meet the one I am destined to be with for the rest of my life. Fucking Moon Goddess."

"You know that won't work, Ands. You are our Alpha Female. You are expected to have a mate and produce a heir. It's just how it goes." He argues.

"I'll just marry some mateless guy or something. I don't know." I say, waving him off.

"You know it won't work like that, Ands. You won't be able to mate with another male. Not only would you mentally not be able to do that, he would feel it if you ever did manage to. Would you really be willing to put him through that? Ands, that's really cruel." He says. "Even for you."

And he's right - as usual - but don't tell him I said that. 

"I don't see how there is any other way of doing this, Derek." I reply. "You know Dad. He would never ever accept Callum. I could lose everything I've worked for." I gesture around. "And I'm not sure I'm willing to do that.

"And there is the fact that Dad would kill him on sight. I couldn't watch that happen. It would kill me too."

"You're speaking like you love him already." He states and I look away. "Shit. You do."

"It's the mate bond. And the stupid mark." I say, gesturing to my neck. 

"Yeah, about that. How are you going to hide that from Dad?" He asks, scratching the back of his head. "I mean, it's pretty noticeable." 

I groan. "I have no fucking idea. I have half the mind to go bite Callum's neck just so he knows what it feels like. Asshole." I say, my voice cracking towards the end. 

"Andromeda..."

"I'm fine." I state, forcing my voice to be stronger. I stand up from his bed and walk across the room to his closet. Opening it, I search around the mess for a moment and grab a large hoodie that will hopefully hide my neck. When I turn around, Derek is giving me the look. 

"Okay, whatever. Obviously, I'm not fine." I say, rolling my eyes. "But I will be. Or, at least, I have to be. I can't be moping around for the rest of my life. I have a pack to run and care for. They need me. Dad's not going to be around forever and I need to step up. I need to be here."

"Whatever. This is why I am so glad that you are the firstborn. No way I would do this Alpha shit." Derek says, shaking his head. 

"I still can't believe you declined being my Beta." I growl. "Like, who does that?"

"I like to consider myself more of a 'free spirit'." He says using finger quotes. "This pack life isn't really a me life. You know that. I've always struggled with it. I'm just staying here to help you out."

"Thanks." I say sarcastically. "I really need it."

Derek smirks. "Obviously you do. I mean, how long were you planning on sitting naked behind that tree for?" He asks, shaking his head. "Werewolf 101. Always bring a change of clothes."

"Oh shut up." I say before smacking his arm. "I gotta go check on Dad. Zombies tonight?"

"Obviously."

I playfully push his hat off his head before exiting the room. I head down the hall, passing various pack members who all politely greet me as I pass by. I love this. I love the respect they give me. I love the power I feel as their future leader. 

And I love the responsibility that goes along with it. 

"There you are. Your father is looking everywhere for you, Andromeda." My mother says, interrupting my thoughts. "Where have you been? And what are you wearing? Goddess that sweater is five sizes too big, Andromeda." 

She begins pulling at the sweater and I quickly slap her hands away. "Mom, how many times do I have to tell you to call me Andy?" 

"I named you Andromeda and I will always call you Andromeda." She argues. "It's who you are and you should embrace it."

I roll my eyes. "Okay, fine. Where's Dad? And what does he need me for?" 

"I don't know, probably something with the Redwood Pack or whatever. Who knows with you two." She says, disinterested. Her words make my heart freeze. 

"What?"

"I don't know, Andromeda. You will have to talk to your father. You know I don't put up with that petty argument."

"Fine. Where is he?" I ask again.

"In his office. Where else would he be?" She replies before turning on her heel and chasing after one of the children. "Isabella! You need to walk in the hallways, not run!"

I chuckle. My mom has always been a fantastic Luna. She is loving and caring and everything you would expect from a Luna. She always thought I would be like her, but when I started following Dad to the training yards instead of following her to the kitchen, she started having other idea. 

From a young age, I always knew I was more than just the Alpha's daughter. All the other children were intimidated by me. Hell, even some of the adults were wary of me. Then one day, Dad sat me down and told me that he felt like I was the next Alpha. I was shocked, but honoured and even though I was only ten at the time, I jumped into it. 

I would trail after my father during training sessions. I would sit silently in the corner while he had important phone calls or meetings. I would help him with paperwork and he would teach me the importance of it all. 

I was so eager to do all of it and still am. I'm ready to be the Alpha Female - the first ever of the Moon Fire pack. I can't wait to officially take over when Dad is done. I can't wait to make him proud. 

I open the door to his office and step inside, my eyes looking around the large room and settling on my father in his old, leather chair. He's writing away in a folder - probably pack transfers or something.

"Ah, there's my daughter." He says, pulling his reading glasses off of his face. He closes the folder and leans back, cracking his spine in a few places. "I needed that."

"Hello Father. I hear you were looking for me? I apologize. I went for a run earlier through the unclaimed territory. Lost track of time, I suppose. The rogues have been absent lately. It's a little unnerving." 

He waves off the conversation with his hand. "Not important. I have other matters to discuss." He says with such authority, I almost feel the need to show my neck in submission. Almost.

"What is it Father?" 

He rubs his eyes with both hands and sighs. "I am sure this conversation won't go over well."

"I'm a big girl. I can handle it."

"Yes, well it's because you are a big girl that I am worried. You have never been one to...take things lightly." He says, raising an eyebrow at me. 

"Okay, so I may have a temper." I smirk. "It's the Alpha in me."

He chuckles. "That's putting it mildly." He says. "Well, I'm just going to say it."

"Okay?"

"I have found you a mate."