SEVENTEEN

We freeze. 

"Andy? We are leaving a few minutes. Are you ready?" David's voice calls from the other side of the door. "Do you need help with your bags?"

"N-no!" I yell, my voice cracking. "I'll be out in a few, still packing!"

"Well, I'd hurry up before your dad declares war on the Redwoods. His face is turning that shade of red we try to avoid again." He says. 

"Okay, I'll hurry!" I say, pushing Callum off of me. He falls with a loud thud.

"Are you okay in there?" David asks, trying the handle. 

"Yep!" I say, stifling a laugh. "Just, uh...dropped something!" 

"Okay." He drawls out. "I better go back to the Alpha."

"I will be there as quick as a whistle." 

A whistle? My wolf asks, chuckling. 

Shut up.

"Yeah, you do that Andy. Maybe lay off the complimentary whiskey while you're at it." He chuckles and I can hear his footsteps as he walks away from my door. 

Sighing, I look down at Callum who's still sitting down on the floor.

"I'm sorry." I whisper. "I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine. I better go." He says, interrupting me. He stands to his feet, avoiding my gaze. 

"Um, should I get your number or something?" I ask, furrowing my brows as I watch him straighten his clothes. 

"Your brother has it, I will just text him." He says dismissively as he walks over to the door.

"Wait!" I shout. "Callum, what's wrong?"

He sighs, his hand on the doorknob. "Nothing, Andy. I will see you when I see you." He says quietly. 

I shake my head as I step forward and place my palm against the door, holding it closed. "No. A minute ago we were in a heated makeout session and now you are acting like I have some sort of disease. What's wrong, Callum? Talk to me." I demand.

His eyes flicker to mine before looking back at the ground again. He sighs, again, before saying, "Nothing's wrong, love. Just disappointed." He plants a kiss on my cheek and gently removes my hand from the door. 

"I wish things were easier." He says as he drops my hand to my side and then quickly disappears out the door, closing it softly behind him. 

"Me too." I whisper as I wipe a lone tear from my eye - an overwhelming loneliness begins to entire my body as I turn from the door and begin packing all my things. As I place items inside my bags, more tears form in my eyes and spill - my hands feverishly wiping away the evidence of each one until a sob escapes my throat and I surrender to the emotions that consume me whole.

 As I place items inside my bags, more tears form in my eyes and spill - my hands feverishly wiping away the evidence of each one until a sob escapes my throat and I surrender to the emotions that consume me whole

"I'm sorry I took so long to pack up." I say as I rush into the foyer. "I was having issues with my bag's zippers and then I dropped everything everywhere. It was-" I pause, taking in the scene in front of me. "What's going on?"

My father and Alpha Jonathan are currently staring each other down with David in between them. Both Alphas are growling with teeth bared and nails sharp and ready to strike the other person. Callum is behind his father, whispering things to him that I cannot hear with his hand on his bicep, his eyes only snapping up to me for a second before returning to his father.

"Dad, what is going on here?" I demand, dropping my bags on the ground as I stalk towards them. "Let's just leave. We don't need to worry about the Redwoods today."

"No!" He snarls, his eyes darkening as his wolf pushes for control. "I've had enough of you and your offspring disrespecting me and my family, Jonathan. This ends now."

"Father! We cannot fight in the King's-"

"Enough, Andromeda!" He bellows, making my eyes widen. "Stand down now! This is between him and me."

"Dad! Let's go. You don't need to do this. You-"

"No, Callum. It's about time I showed Jeffrey exactly what the Redwoods are capable of." He states, making my father growl loudly in response. 

I step between the two Alphas, my hands held up as I act as a barrier for them both. "I am not letting you two fight today. Father, you yourself said that we mustn't fight in the King's home. And Alpha Jonathan, I know you are a respectable man-" My father scoffs. "I know you will stand by the agreements put into place during the last Alpha Council meeting. Am I correct?"

Alpha Jonathan huffs. 

"You know you both can't lay a finger on one another, so let's just get into our separate cars and leave and forget this entire confrontation never happened. Okay?" I look at the two Alphas who both shake their heads slowly. "Okay. Father, you go out that door. And Alpha Jonathan, if you and Callum could go out that door?"

"That would be fine, Andromeda." Callum says, gently pulling his father's arm in the direction of the door. 

"Great. It was nice seeing you both and I wish you a safe trip." I say.

Callum mouths a 'thank you' before turning towards the door and all but dragging his father out it. I turn to my father who is currently being 'guided' out the door by David and Edward. 

"You handled that well, Andy." David whispers as father steps outside and walks quickly to the SUV waiting for us. "I thought...I thought we were going to have someone going home in a body bag in a second."

"Yeah," I say breathlessly. "Me too."