TWENTY ONE

Time seemed to stand still for a moment as I watched my Dad hold tight to my brother's lifeless body - tears escaping his eyes and leaving a broken man. Warriors stood around us with their hands bowed in respect at the fallen member of our family. Another howl rips through my father's lips, followed by one in the distance - my mother as she is now informed of the situation. 

"Dad..."I say, trailing off as words seem to escape me. What do you say to someone who has lost their child? How do you tell them that you failed at keeping your younger brother safe?

"What happened?" He says lowly, his voice dangerous as his wolf pushes through the barrier. His head snaps in the direction of Callum as I finally notice the situation my mate is in. 

"What did you do to my son?!" My father roars. He drops my brother to the ground as he pushes himself to his feet and hones in on Callum. 

"Dad, no." I say weakly as I stand and walk between the two. "He didn't do this. I swear to you that he didn't do this." 

"Get out of my way, Andromeda." He growls. His eyes darken with each passing second. 

"No, listen to me!" I order as I feverishly wipe the tears from my eyes. "Callum Denvers did not do this! Rogues did this! He-"

"So your family is working with the Rogues now, eh?" My father says in distaste.

"Father, no! That's not what I said! Goddess, you need to listen to me! Callum-"

"Enough!" He bellows, making me go silent for a second. 

"No! You need to listen to me before you make a huge mistake!" I yell. "Callum is innocent. He saved my life! He-"

Smack.

My head snaps to the side and pain radiates from my cheek, making me bring my hand to the now tender skin. 

"I said enough." He says lowly. "You've done enough here, Andromeda. Leave."

"No!" 

"David, take her away."

"Dad! No! You are making a mistake!" I scream as David steps towards me, giving me an apologetic look. "He didn't touch Derek! He wouldn't do that! He's my-"

"Now, David! Take her away before I lose both of my children today."

I gasp, frozen by my father's harsh words. 

"Yes, Alpha." David replies, wrapping his hand around my bicep. "Come on, Andy. Don't make this harder."

"Don't fucking touch me!" I snarl, ripping away from his grasp. 

"Andy, I'll be fine." Callum says and one of the warriors smack his head. 

"Don't talk, mutt!" The warrior orders and I growl. 

"Do not touch him!" I order, my Alpha tone coming through. Unfortunately, my father's order still trumps my own, but the warrior bears his neck in submission regardless. 

"Get her the fuck out of here, David! Or I will have your head along side this disgrace of a wolf!" My father demands and David grabs me roughly and begins dragging me off. "Take the mutt to the cells, I will deal with him later. Make sure there are five guards on him at all times and do not let him out of your sight! He's like a snake. He will sneak away..." His voice trails off as David drags me further away. 

"Let go of me, David." I order as I struggle against his hold. 

"I can't, Andy." He says softly - his voice pained.

I grunt in response, secretly knowing he can't disobey the Alpha, but unwilling to show my understanding. "He's going to kill him, David." I say, my voice cracking as my vulnerability comes through. "I can't let him do that. He didn't do anything wrong."

David ignores what I'm saying and instead replies, "He wants you in your room. Let's go."

I sigh, knowing that there is nothing I can do. So, I quit fighting against him. I allow him to lead me through the forest and into the pack house. I allow him to gently push me inside my room and close the door behind him. I ignore the click of the lock and flop on my bed in despair as everything begins settling in. 

Derek's gone. He's gone and he ain't coming back. I've lost my best friend and brother today and I don't know what to do with myself. 

And worst of all, my father is blaming the man who is my mate - the man I am destined to be with for the rest of my life. My father is going to kill my mate. And there is nothing I can do to stop that. 

My head begins to pound with pain that i know isn't my own and all I can do is sob. My wolf howls in my head in misery and I am right there with her. I curl up into a ball as bursts of pain erupt over my entire body - making me whimper. 

"Andy, your dad is asking-" David stars as he opens the door to my room. "Goddess, what's wrong?"

He runs to the side of my bed, worry evident on my face. 

"David..." I whimper. "You need to stop them. David, he didn't do anything wrong!" 

"Andy, I don't understand. What's happening?" He says frantically as he looks over me for injuries - his eyes stopping and widening when the land on the mark on my neck. "Shit."

A broken sob escapes me as another burst of pain shoots through me and I nod my head.

He brings his hand to the side of the head and stares at me in complete shock. "Fuck, Andy. I'm so sorry. I didn't know."

"No one knows. Only Derek." I say, my voice cracking when I say Derek's name. "I-I knew Dad wouldn't accept it."

He releases a shaky breath before his eyes snap to mine. "Andy, you need to get up." He says, leaning down to grab my arm. "Your Dad ordered for him to be brought to the square. He's going to be..." He trails off and I know what's going to happen. 

My father is going to kill my mate.