SIXTEEN

"Andy!" Skylar's scream catches me off guard and I turn around just in time to be captured in a huge hug that sends me flying back a couple feet. "I'm so happy for you! Congrats!"

I giggle. "Thank you, but I can't breathe."

She releases me and steps back, straightening her hair. Hunter, her mate, steps up behind her and wraps a protective arm around her waist. 

"Congratulations on your position." He says with a warm smile. "I look forward to working with you in the future."

"Definitely! We will be the best of allies! You just wait, Andy!" Skylar exclaims. "I wish we could talk more, but we have to get going. Hunter hates driving in the dark. Here's my number." She trusts ha card into my hand. "Don't be a stranger!"

"It was so nice meeting you and I definitely won't." I say before Hunter turns her away and leads her out of the hall. I watch them go for a moment before turning back to the table and gathering my papers. 

"I guess a congratulations is in order." A familiar deep voice states from behind me. 

I turn around, my eyes find Alpha Jonathan's. "Thank you." I say politely, despite the frown on my face.

"I really hope that you aren't like your father, Andromeda. It be nice for our packs to...work out their differences." He says as he eyes me up and down. "An alliance would be beneficial. For both of us."

"We shall see." I reply. "I must be going. I still have to pack."

He nods his head, stepping back a little to let me through.

I smile and begin walking away, but stop when a hand grasps my bicep tightly. I turn towards Alpha Jonathan, my brows furrowed in confusion.

"What-"

"I'd advise you to listen closely, Andromeda Stidolph. My beef is with your father, not you. However, if you choose the wrong side, you will quickly see what Redwood is capable of." He whispers coolly in my ear. 

"Alpha Jonathan. Would you kindly remove your hand from Miss. Stidolph's arm?" The Queen orders from behind him. 

"Of course, your majesty." He says, nodding his head as he releases me from his hold and takes a giant step back. "I was just congratulating the newest Alpha Female."

"Of course you were." She says, rolling her eyes. "You've finished now, I presume. You may go."

"Yes. I thank you for your hospitality during our stay." He says, bowing his head before turning on his heel and leaving the hall. 

The Queen turns to me, her face growing worried when her eyes land on the bruises forming on my arm. "Are you okay?" She asks quietly, placing her fingers gently on my arm. I flinch away from her touch, pain radiating from the marks with even her soft fingertips. 

"I will be fine." I state firmly, wanting this conversation to be done. 

"If you're sure?" I nod my head. "Okay. Well, I just came over to wish you the best in the new year. I realize it's still a couple months away, but I probably won't see you before then and-"

"Thank you, your highness." I interrupt, trying to end her rambling. 

"Oh, none of this 'your highness' crap." She orders playfully. "Call me Lynda. I want you to call me Lynda. I swear if one more person calls me Queen or your majesty or your highness or your honour-"

I laugh. "I get it, Lynda. I just hope your mate doesn't take my head for the disrespect."

"It ain't disrespect if I tell you to do it." She states, turning her head to look at her mate across the room. "Plus, you don't worry about him. I got him wrapped around this little finger. Watch this.