| Three |

PRESENT

"I wish I'd never met you"

The six words rang in my ears, echoing as they bounced around my head. He had spoken the words so quietly, barely above a whisper. I knew his voice. His every tone ingrained in my eardrum, so recognisable to me even in a crowd full of people. There was no anger in those final six words he uttered to me. All I could hear was the sound of despair.

I stared at my phone blankly as I held it in my shaky hand. The silence surrounding me was deafening as I sat frozen on the floor of the hallway.

He was gone.

Flicking back through my memory I concentrated hard. Holding onto a flicker of hope that I could recall what I had done. There was nothing. Was this a prank? A drunken game, such a frequent thing for him to do with me. He'd call endlessly asking if my fridge was running some nights after going out drinking and partying with his friends, forgetting our opposite time zones meaning the only thing he was disturbing was my lunch.
It can't have been a game or a prank, his words were fueled by pure emotion, I could hear it seething through his teeth as he spoke the harsh words to me.
I had done nothing wrong.
What was happening?

As I sat on the floor lost in my thoughts, the look on my face and my furrowed brow screaming confusion, Finn walked up behind me. His hand warm on my barely covered shoulder. "You need to see this".

Handing me his phone and draping a woollen blanket over my shoulders, he sat down and stared at me. His eyes flicking over my face, between my eyes trying to decipher my emotions, his face illuminated by the glow of his phone.
"I heard him, every word. You need to read this".

Golden boys bad ways revealed
TMZ has the inside word on Edward Harvey, son of English business magnate William Harvey and talk show host Rita Day, and his adulterous behaviour.
Harvey, who is rumoured to take the helm of the multi-billion dollar company when his father retires, has been in headlines recently with the business world going crazy over the bachelor and his impending promotion.

It seems that Harvey isn't as squeaky clean as he would have us all believe.

A source close to Harvey claims that his frequent trips down under may have been more pleasure than business including while in a relationship with London Doctor, Melissa Donovan.

Harvey and Donovan's relationship began in 2013, the power couple going their separate ways a year later after a civil breakup. Sources at the time claiming Harvey's hectic schedule and business commitments had seen them drift apart.
Who is this mystery woman and could she be the tide that caused the pair to drift?

The timing of this news is less than convenient for Harvey who is soon set to meet with the board of directors to decide his fate in the bid for CEO. Will this be the start of the demise of London's golden boy? Only time will tell. "

He thinks it was me? He thinks that I'm the source?" I felt bile rising in my throat, the thought of someone betraying Edward and his family making me feel sick.

He thought that someone was me. I couldn't hold it down anymore. I threw the blanket off my shoulders and darted to the toilet. I let the vomit out in a fast stream, heaving as the foul taste of bile lined my throat. The tears began to flow freely.  He thought I had betrayed his trust and exposed him to the world. 

Where was this information coming from? William, Edwards father, had worked so hard to keep their image as pristine as possible. Edward understood that his life was different. Every move he made was scrutinized and put under a microscope because of who his father was. Since he was young Edward had been groomed to become the ideal man to take over his father's company. Taught how to speak, how to act, how to dress. The types of behaviours, situations and people to avoid were drilled into him. As a school child, Edward learnt all the regular lessons of Mathematics, English, Languages, Sport but he also spent many hours in high-class Etiquette lessons. An outsider could mistake his upbringing for that of The Royal Family.

 Although his life was far from normal, Edward was grateful for everything he had and the person he had grown to become. His father was a hard man in the corporate world. Known for his 'get things done' attitude and unflagging pursuit of excellence. There were no businessmen or women that intimidated him. He was fearless. The empire that carried his prestigious name was a true testament to his hard work. Edward was so proud of his father. Never a negative word had he uttered about his father. His hero. At home, William was a family man. The characteristics of his corporate persona were shed the moment he was to care for his family. He had dedicated every other moment of his life to caring for his family. Their home was filled to the brim with love. William knew his company was something to admire but his pride and joy is, and always would be his wife and children. Everything he did was for them. 

Five years I had known Edward. Not once, in all our conversations had anything like this 'scandal' come up. Edward was smart, wise. He never did anything of the sort. Well aware of what could come from acting like the tabloids had portrayed him, he was conscious of never following in the footsteps of his privileged peers. Never wanting to experience the negative side of his family's wealth and the slippery downward slope that was easily available to him. 

I couldn't fully understand what was happening. I had read the story, soaked in all the words that appeared in the article in front of me. I didn't believe any of it. I know Edward, I know him better than he knows himself. He would never do that to someone. I had to find out the truth. But how? I had no idea. How could I find out the truth when even Edward didn't know the truth? 

I made my way back to the bedroom, searching for my phone in the darkness of the small hours of the morning. I started writing, deleting and rewriting a message to Edward. There was only one message I wanted him to read.

"It wasn't me. I will find the truth. I will fight for you, Edward".