Chapter One

Colby was confused.

For weeks, Sam had been...tense...and honestly it was starting to scare the brunette. Very rarely did Sam get angry, though when he did all Colby could do was duck and cover. This time, Colby was worried that when the storm finally broke he wouldn't be strong enough to survive.

"Sam?"

The blond boy turned around, his face blank and his eyes dull. "Yes Colby?"

He swallowed harshly. "Are you okay?"

Sam smiled hollowly and Colby shrank back. It was scary, seeing Sam so empty. "I'm fine Colby."

"You don't seem fine."

Sam's smile dropped. "I said I'm fine. Why don't you believe me?"

"You don't seem to feel anymore." Colby held his breath. He hadn't meant to say that but it was too late to go back now.

Sam's face contorted as confusion and understanding battled in his eyes. "Oh. I see."

"Do you?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry Colby."

"Don't be sorry, feel something."

Sam's face darkened, a dangerous sort of rage flaring to life in his body. "I am feeling something Colby. I'm feeling angry and hurt and betrayed."

"What?"

Sam laughed. "If you didn't have your head shoved so far up Brennen's fucking ass, you would've known that Kat dumped me. So forgive me for not 'feeling' but I've been a little busy having my heart ripped out and shredded."

Colby gaped as his best friend walked up the stairs. He didn't know about the break-up. He didn't know much about Sam's current life, he realised. He'd been distant and busy...busy with Brennen.

"Our mansion isn't haunted is it?" Elton asked, snapping Colby out of his daze.

"W-What?"

"You look like you've just seen a ghost."

He didn't have the energy to laugh. "Nah dude, just realised something, that's all."

"Oh yeah?" Elton raised an eyebrow. "What's that?"

Colby hesitated. "I've been neglecting Sam," he confessed. "Like, I know we're adults and personal space and personal lives and stuff, but we've been best friends for a long time and I've, like, abandoned him."

Elton shook his head. "It took you this long to figure that out?"

"What do you mean?"

"Sam's been in a downward spiral for months."

"Months?" Colby repeated, shock settling like acid in his stomach.

"You honestly didn't notice? Everyone's been trying their hardest to keep him alive."

"When did Kat break up with him?" Colby whispered.

Elton thought for a moment. "A week or so ago."

"I'm such a bad friend."

"Not to be rude, but yeah, you really are."

His phone vibrated in his pocket and he withdrew it, exhaling sharply as he read the text.

FROM:
Brennen the BrenMAN: yo, you up for a vid with me tomorrow? It's gonna be HAWT

"How bad is he?" Colby asked, looking up at Elton.

The man sighed. "He's....he's killing himself. He won't eat, doesn't sleep. We've caught him with blades before. I had to remove the lock on his door."

In that instant, Colby made up his mind.

TO:
Brennen the BrenMAN: Sorry dude. There's a few issues here I need to work through.

FROM:
Brennen the BrenMAN: is everything okay?

TO:
Brennen the BrenMAN: things haven't been okay for a long time.

FROM:
Brennen the BrenMAN: you're scaring me man

FROM:
Brennen the BrenMAN: Colby?

Colby shut his phone off and sighed. "I've got to fix this."

Elton snorted. "Good luck. Sam doesn't want your help."

"How do you know?"

"Dude, you ditched him for Brennen. If I were Sam, I wouldn't want your help either."

"I didn't even realise," Colby muttered.

"Obviously."

"What do I do?" He stressed, running a hand through his hair. "Where do I start?"

"I'd start with talking," Elton said. "Try and get through to him with your words."

"It's worth a shot."

"I wish you luck."

With a nervous smile, Colby began the trek up the stairs. Every step felt like a weight around his neck and he paused to calm himself down. It's fine, he reassured himself. Sam's just angry and sad and slowly killing himself.

It took him ten minutes to make it to his best friends closed door.