Chapter Eight

"Yo Colby!" Brennen shouted as he opened the door, shoving a camera in Colby's face. "Why ya been gone so long?! It's been so goddamn lonely bro!"

Instantly, Colby fell into his camera mask, plastering a surprised grin on his face. "You do have other friends dude."

"But Colbyyyyyy," Brennen whined, "You and I have something special."

"Sorry dude," Colby laughed. "But I'm here now so stop complaining."

Brennen dropped the act and laughed, turning the camera on himself. "Anyways guys, Colby and I are gonna head to a Tender Greens cause we have this awesome gift card, so I'll check back in soon!" Instantly, he turned the camera off and studied Colby. "What's up?"

"Nothing," Colby said, bending down to pet Kobe. He didn't want this to be about him. Everyone had stopped worrying about Sam as soon as Colby had started his downward spiral.

Brennen folded his arms. "I'm not gonna argue with you but I know you're lying."

"I'm fine Brennen," Colby promised, looking up at his second best friend. "Are we seriously going to Tender Greens though?"

"Hell yeah!" Brennen grabbed his phone and wallet, motioning for Colby to grab the keys. "Dude, I'm famished."

***

"Colby's not okay," Corey said as the four housemates gathered together. The brunette in question would be out most of the night with Brennen and the others had pulled together to talk for the first times in months.

"Yeah, it started after he found out about Sam." Elton sighed. "This is why I never want kids."

"Did anyone other than Sam hear him screaming last night?" Aaron asked quietly.

Corey and Elton shook their heads and Sam let out a muffled groan. "It was so scary man," he breathed. "We were sleeping and he just starts freaking out, screaming and crying. I was so fucking scared."

"I think I might know why," Corey said. "When Colby followed you inside yesterday, Brennen filled me in in some stuff. Basically, Colby's terrified he's going to wake up, or walk in, and you're going to be dead on the bed. Brennen said that's why he didn't want to come back. He didn't want to just walk in and find you dead."

"So he's scared of me?" Sam clarified and Corey blinked, hesitating. "Great."

"I don't think he meant it like that," Aaron said. "I think he's just scared of what you can do."

"And he's still feeling guilty about shutting you out," Elton added. "I can't believe he's only just noticed. You haven't been okay for a long time Sam."

"You try having your oldest friend shut you out and then replace you," Sam snapped. "He then tried to pin it on me constantly spending time with Katrina."

"I miss Katrina," Corey said absently. "She and Devyn got on so well."

"I miss her too," Sam whispered. "I miss her a lot. But she made her choice."

Aaron let out a breath. "Do you think she could've left because of Colby? Kat's a smart girl, she probably picked up on Sam's longing for Colby and thought the worst."

"She thought Sam was using her," Elton finished, nodding. "That's actually very likely. It would've been the only reason she would've left Sam."

"So my longing for Colby is what drove her away?" Sam repeated. "That's comforting. Do you guys feel like that?" They gave him blank stares and he slowly curled in on himself, shutting himself away. He should've known. "Great. Just fucking great."

"Sam-" Corey attempted but the blond boy just covered his ears.

"Sam please." Elton gently drew Sam's hands down and away from his head. "Just a little longer and then Colby's home. You're going to have to be prepared. If Colby is scared of you dying while he's gone, he's going to become very clingy."

"Yeah," Corey chirped. "We know how attached Colby can get if he thinks something is going to happen."

"So what do I do?" Sam asked meekly.

The other three glanced at each other. "Just wait it out," Aaron answered. "Once you guys stabilise each other and you sort through everything, he should let go and step back."

"And until then, I'm going to have to deal with a suddenly affectionate and clingy Colby?" Sam sighed and stood. "I'm going up to my room."

"Sam?" The boy returned around and faced Elton. The man gave him a small smile. "You're getting better."

"I'm getting better," Sam promised.

They all failed to notice the flash of brown hair in the doorway as Colby fled the conversation, tears cascading down his face.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the support for this story! It's amazing! I love you all!