Chapter Seven

"Sam?"

There was blood everywhere, on the sheets, in his hair. Empty blue eyes met his and an unmoving body condemned him to hell.

"SAM!"

"Colby! Colby, shh! It's okay, I'm here. I'm here Colby, it's okay. Colby it's okay!"

Colby struggled against the grip on his arm, terror ripping through his veins as he scrambled to sit up. Blindly, he felt around for Sam until he came into contact with another body. Colby prayed it was his best friend as he latched on and sobbed.

After a few moments, Colby calmed down and swiped at the tears on his face. Sam, he needed to check on Sam.

"Sam?" He croaked, scared when there was no response. "Sam!"

"I'm here Colby, I'm here."

Relief caused momentary paralysis as Colby revelled in the fact that Sam was not, in fact, dead. Then he was crying again and Sam held him tightly.

"I'm sorry," Colby sniffed, desperately trying to stop the tears as he pulled away to compose himself. "God, I'm a mess."

"So am I," was Sam's quiet response.

A light turned on. "I heard Colby screaming," Aaron said, looking concerned as he opened the door but stayed in the hallway.

"I'm sorry," Colby said again. "I didn't mean to wake you."

"I was editing," Aaron said. "Are you okay?"

Colby nodded, praying he wouldn't start crying again. "Yeah, yeah I'm good. Just a nightmare is all."

"Okay." Aaron looked unconvinced.

Colby smiled. "Promise."

Aaron hesitantly returned the smile before shutting the door and walking away. Colby felt his face drop. Aaron was always the sweetest out of everyone in the house and Colby felt bad for worrying him like that.

"You are so not okay," Sam whispered and Colby dipped his head in shame as Sam stared at him in the dimly lit room.

"I'm fine," he tried to defend himself, but it sounded pathetic even to him. God, pull yourself together. You gotta be strong for Sam.

"Screaming and crying is not okay, Colby," Sam said.

Colby frowned. "That was just a nightmare. That doesn't determine whether I'm okay or not." Sam just stared and Colby sighed. "Okay, maybe, but it was just one nightmare!"

"And remember what your nightmares led to back in High School?" Sam said pointedly.

"That was forever ago Sam," Colby sighed. "Look, I'm sorry for freaking out."

"I love you Colby." Sam's voice had softened and Colby relaxed at the reassuring words.

"I love you too Sam."

The duo readjusted themselves on the bed, just like all those years ago when two little boys sought comfort during the night.

***

FROM:
Brennen the BrenMAN: Yo dude, my YouTube is blowing up with requests for you to be in my vids again. Can I come round to film a little skit?

Colby bit his lip as he re-read the text. Brennen was one of his closest friends, his second best friend, he couldn't leave him out in the cold, but Sam....

Sam would have to deal, Colby decided rashly. Brennen had been by his side for a long time and they'd both been through hell. Surely Sam could understand that.

TO:
Brennen the BrenMAN: yeah man. I'll come round to yours tho, I'm sure Kobe misses me ;)

FROM:
Brennen the BrenMAN: i swear that dog loves you more than he loves me.

TO:
Brennen the BrenMAN: well duh

Colby hated how cautious Brennen was now. Each word was like Brennen was walking on eggshells and Colby despised the underlying tension and awkwardness that had crept up on the two of them. He didn't want Brennen to end up like Sam.

"I'm headed out for a bit," he announced to Sam. "I shouldn't be gone long."

"Brennen's?" Sam guessed and Colby froze. "Dude, its fine. I'm not gonna stop you from chilling with a friend."

Despite Sam's easy tone, Colby knew the blond boy was hurting. He knew how bad it must feel, to have Colby come so close and then leave again so quickly. Guilt stirred in his stomach but he fought it off. He had a right to hang out with who he wanted.

"Thanks buddy." He grinned. "Movie night tonight?"

Sam shrugged. "Sure."

His unenthusiastic response tore down Colby's smile and the brunette slipped out of the room before he could say something he'd regret. Nobody was downstairs and Colby didn't bother grabbing his keys.

Fuck it, he'd walked it before, he could walk it again.