Chapter Four

"Corey's asking me if I know where you are," Brennen said as they ate. Colby just nodded, eyes downcast. "Colby, you can't hide from them."

"I don't want to face them," was Colby's response.

Brennen typed something on his phone and then put it down, frowning slightly. "I'm worried about you Colby."

"I'm fine, Brennen."

"You are not fine dude."

Colby sighed and pushed away his plate of food. "I'm doing better than Sam," he said. "People need to worry about him, not me. People always focus on me on social media and because of that, I lost my best friend. For once, can everyone just make sure Sam is okay?"

Brennen didn't say anything for a moment, picking his words carefully. "We know Sam isn't okay and Elton and everyone else is helping him. But you, nobody's helping you."

"Because I've been fine!" Colby snapped. "I've been selfish and I've been fine! And because of me being okay, Sam's spiralling into depression and I'm scared that when I go home, he's not going to be there anymore!"

"Dude," Brennen glanced around, smiling at people as they gave the duo curious looks. "Look, let's get in the car."

"Whatever." Colby stood up. Brennen let out a breath as he pulled his friend out to the car.

"So that's what this is about," Brennen mused as he drove out of the carpark.

"What?"

"You're scared Sam is going to kill himself."

Colby inhaled sharply. "You haven't seen him, dude. He's...he's just a shell of the Sam I love."

"You don't understand this Sam," Brennen guessed. "You don't know how he thinks and you're scared of that."

Colby nodded. "Where are we going?"

Brennen gripped the steering wheel tightly. "I told Corey I'd bring you back." Colby instantly scrambled for the door handle, but Brennen was faster and locked the doors. "Jesus Christ! Colby, are you fucking crazy?!"

"Don't take me back!" Colby begged. "Please, Brennen!"

"You have to face them eventually," Brennen said sternly, his heart splitting in two at Colby's desperation. "Colby..."

"Fine, whatever," the boy spat. "Good luck trying to get me out of the car when we get there."

Brennen sighed. "Colby, man, you're one of my best friends. It's killing me to see you like this. Please dude, just let them try and help. You're not okay."

"I'm fine," Colby whispered. "I'm fine."

"Yet somehow I don't believe you." Brennen shot back. Colby said nothing more and Brennen kept driving.

***

"Thanks Brennen," Corey murmured as the two stood near Brennen's car, glancing at Colby, who had refused to get out. "We got really worried when nobody knew where he was and then he ignored all of our text and calls."

"He's really shaken," Brennen said. "Dude, he was a wreck when he made it to my place."

"Did he walk?" Corey asked and Brennen shrugged.

"I never saw his car."

"Shit dude."

The front door opened behind them and they turned around to see a shaking, dishevelled Sam step out, barefoot. Colby instantly shot out of the car and ran towards his best friend. Sam simply held his arms out and Colby crashed into them, holding onto the blond boy so tightly Brennen wondered if they could breathe.

Colby felt tears trace his cheek as he clung to Sam, his heart hammering in his chest as he felt his friend shudder and tremble.

"I'm so sorry Sam," he choked out, repeating it over and over again as he buried his face in Sam's neck. "I'm sorry."

"Colby," Sam whispered but said nothing more.

Colby sobbed and held Sam tighter, fearing if he let go then the blond boy would disappear. For a moment, one precious second, he could pretend that they weren't falling apart, could pretend that everything was still okay.

"I'm hungry," Sam muttered and Colby snorted a laugh, stepping back and releasing his best friend. Sam turned to Corey. "Do we still have those bread roll things that Elton bought?"

Corey just stared at Sam in wonder. "Uh, y-yeah. They're in the kitchen."

"Thanks." Sam gave a hesitant smile, his face still smeared in tears. "Colby?"

"Yeah Sam?"

Sam gave him another quick hug. "I think we're gonna need to talk later."

Colby nodded. "Yeah, sure. I'll come up to your room later. I just need to talk to Brennen real quick."

Something in Sam's face fell and fresh pain filled his blue eyes. "Oh, right."

Colby watched him go with a heavy heart.