Chapter 5 - Backpack

GABRIELLA

Joel's trying to get me in trouble. That little shit made up words I didn't say to mess up with me and didn't care who he's taking down with me. I've never have experienced a situation like this before. I can't say that every band I've worked with liked me, but no one ever tried to get me in a tight spot. I feel offended at his behavior and my first instinct is to file a complaint against him with the label, but I know I shouldn't. I'm an adult and can handle the situation. 

It's disgusting that he assumed that me talking with Daan is the prelude to going to bed with him. I'm allowed to be friendly with the people I'll work with for a long time, and I don't date people from work because it's a recipe for disaster. I should know, because I went through the experience. Dated a sound engineer and things were fine in the beginning until he tried to intervene in my decisions regarding the band. My last drop of patience disappeared when he revoked my instructions to the security team and without my knowledge, took the band to a bar where they proceeded to get so wasted I could barely get them out of bed the next morning.

I've also tried dating outside of the workplace, but that didn't go well either. Once the guys found out what I do for a living, all they can think about is when is the next concert they can get in for free or what other opportunities are there to hang out with the band. Their attention goes from spending time with me to becoming best buds with anyone who could get them in. Then the moment I call them out on their bullshit, they accuse me of being busy all the time and disappear.

I will go to Daan at the first opportunity I get to clear the air. Bad relationships with my colleagues aren't my style. Joel passes by me and bumps my shoulder in a passive aggressive way. I call the band who are all scattered playing with their phones and request as kindly as I can that they continue with rehearsal. Joel avoids looking my way and I don't mind. He doesn't need to be my friend. If he does his job and let me do mine that's enough. I consider joining Daan, but the unfriendly stare I receive from him tells me it's not the right moment to approach him.

The rest of the rehearsal happens with only a few arguments over the order of the songs and the creative license that Lexy took during a guitar solo. Curiously, she received the full support from Joel while the others disagreed. Maybe that's what Daan referred to earlier. The lunch break arrives and by the time I'm done attending to my tasks and confirming the first week of the tour schedule I come into a busy hall where everyone seems to have formed groups. I grab a sandwich plate, chips and a soda and head to an empty table. The food looks appealing, but I'm still annoyed at Joel, Daan is definitely pissed at me, and I can't find the motivation to eat.

Ozzie sits next to me with his food and grins. I can see why the fans are so into him. His happy green eyes are beautiful and he radiates warmth and kindness.

"Hello, Ozzie. Thanks for joining me," I say.

"You okay?" He looks straight into my eyes.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You don't look like it. Is the food not good?" He picks up his sandwich and smells it.

"I have not tried it, but it looks good," I grab a chip from the bag and nibble on it, hoping it helps me to get my appetite back.

"Hey, don't mind Joel. He'll come around. My brother is stubborn and it takes him some time to warm up to new people. He isn't exactly easy to live with. I know all about it."

"When I got this job, I wasn't expecting for you guys to like me instantaneously, but also didn't expect his dislike to be so intense. Let's just forget about it for a moment. I want to get to know you better. I assume Ozzie is a nickname, right?"