Chapter 16 - Birthday

GABRIELLA

The sound of my phone alarm leaves me with a slight heart attack. After spending hours taking care of Ozzie, I returned to my hotel room and must have fallen asleep immediately. Our mini break is over and today we need to get back to business. Although seeing Daan asleep and still naked in my bed makes me want to stay in a little longer.

"Daan, it's time to wake up," I say as I give him a slight shake.

"What time is it?" He sits on the bed and looks around still with sleepy eyes.

"It's six. You are welcome to stay, but I have things to do."

"No, thanks for waking me up. I need to be at the venue as soon as possible. I was meant to do that yesterday, but plans changed. I don't regret it though."

His grin makes me smile. I begin to gather my things to jump in the shower and turn on my laptop to refresh my memory on the day planning.

"What did Ozzie want last night?" He asks.

My hand stops before hitting the enter button. "He indulged in dodgy sushi and let's say that the room will have to be burned down to remove the smell. It wasn't pretty."

Daan laughs and then his face turns serious. "Did he..."

"Yeah, he knows we spent the night together. Although I spent a significant part of it taking care of him. It will be a matter of time before everyone else knows."

"I don't mind that, Gabriella. I know we've only had one date, but I can't wait to go on more dates with you. If they want to think we are together I'd say let them."

"Isn't it better to tell them the truth?"

"It's sort of the truth. Maybe in the past I was chasing skirts, but I'm not like that anymore. When I asked you out, even if it was a long time ago, it was because I have a genuine interest in you. Last night proved that it could work out between us. I didn't want the date to end."

A deep breath escapes me. I don't want to read between the lines. "So you are telling me that you are okay with people thinking we are in a relationship. What if they start calling you my boyfriend or me your girlfriend?"

"I won't deny it."

"This is crazy. We've only been on one date!" I laugh.

Daan comes closer and places a hand on my chest. "Tell me you didn't feel it in here. It was comfortable, familiar, it felt right between us."

I felt that and more. As if I've been waiting for that moment my whole life.

LEXY

Nothing better than seeing two people so right for each other coming together. In front of us, Daan and Gabriella keep their usual professional manners, but I see how they glance at each other and I see their love budding. Ozzie blabbered about what he found out the night of their date and I'm amused he found it extraordinary. When he used to go to bed with each woman who crossed his path no one made a big deal out of it.

"Stop wasting your time by staring at them," Joel says as he adjusts his drum set. "They won't last."

"Joel, Gabriella and Daan are obviously happy. Can't you be happy for them too? We were also like them. How would you feel if everyone was already thinking we wouldn't last?"

"Well, we didn't."

"Not because of me. I loved being your girlfriend."

Joel stops what he's doing and stares at me. He opens his mouth to say something, but changes his mind and leaves the stage.