Chapter 33 - Contract

Six weeks later

GABRIELLA

"Are you sure you don't want me to go up with you?" Daan asks the moment he stops in front of the label building.

"I'll be okay. Go run your errands," I give him a reassuring smile before I step out of the car.

Since the evening I got shot, I've been confined to a hospital room or my apartment, weak from the blood loss and in pain from my healing injury. The days felt long and boring after the eventful nine months on the road. I missed the band and Erica, and even though we kept in communication through calls and messages, it wasn't the same. Going to Oakheart to celebrate Christmas and New Year with my parents, Daan, Victoria and Lucy felt like a treat after so many days staring at the same walls. I love being surrounded by people and that's why when Rick's assistant called about this meeting, I insisted we should do it in person.

The reactions I get as I walk inside the building seem mixed. Some people give me encouraging smiles and others seem surprised to see me here after being away for so long. I noticed that since the incident, people just don't know how to talk to me. I can only assume they don't want me to relive that evening, but I'm alive and my intention is to make fresh memories to forget what happened.

When I arrive at Rick's office, he stands up the second I enter the room and walks around his desk, then holds the hand of my good arm.

"Gabriella, it's so good to see you. We've missed you. How are you doing?" He says.

"I'm well. Started therapy last week to regain strength and the full use of my arm. Thank you for the lovely flowers you sent to the hospital and all the attentions in the past weeks."

"It's the least I could do, and it didn't feel like it was enough. You've been a valuable team member, and we all felt powerless against the actions of that madman. I'm so sorry for Daan. When we spoke a few days after that night, he was still processing that everything was meant to harm him."

"He also appreciates how understanding you've been with this situation and the time off you gave him to deal with it. We realize this reflects badly on the reputation of the label."

"Nonsense. We all know around here how hard you work and how much the band likes you both. Your professionalism, even in the toughest situations, helps our reputation. Which brings me to the reason for this meeting. You must be wondering what's next for you, and I would be delighted if you wanted to continue working for us and doing the day-today management of Pinch of Postal."

I was prepared for any outcome from this meeting, even so, hearing him say those words fills me with delight.

"I would love to. Where do I sign?"

Rick looks satisfied as he pulls a folder with a contract. We then go through the details and the ambitious planning for the upcoming months. In a few days, they'll launch a new song and the corresponding video that was filmed during the tour. What surprised the most was to see that the new tour will start a lot earlier than I thought and the idea fills me with excitement.

This time I don't tremble as I sign my name on the dotted line and feel so happy that I'll continue to work with people that I've genuinely learned to love.

After saying my goodbyes, I take a walk around the city and enjoy the fresh air. My phone rings and I see Daan's calling.

"How did the meeting go?" He asks the moment I answer.

"It went great. Just signed to continue managing the band."

"The best news I've heard today," he says and from the tone of his voice, I assume he's grinning. "Although I had no doubts they would ask you. Where are you now?"