Chapter 30 - Cupcakes

LEXY

Patrick gives me a thumbs up as I finish recording the voiceover of the tour diary. Since the start of the tour, a camera crew has followed us to events, appearances and sometimes backstage to film what we've been doing, and how is life for us behind the scenes. We've given them plenty of action, but thanks to Erica and Gabriella, only the best bits have made it public.

I assumed that our privacy would be limited when we signed up for this, but having a crew discuss whether situations like Joel ending in the hospital or Alec meeting with his therapist online should be on film are completely overstepping boundaries. Gabriella was clear that it was our personal decision to share anything private with the fans, and we chose to keep our backstage life light and humorous.

"That's it for this episode," the editor says to Patrick, and I feel slightly offended that he isn't talking directly to me. "What's left is the tour wrap-up after the next shows and then we are done."

And that's something I'm looking forward to. Three shows sound like a lot at the moment, but the advantage is that from tomorrow on we'll be in Greenwood for the last two. I'll be able to commute to and from the venue in my car, and will sleep in my bed, or Joel's. We still haven't figured our new arrangements.

"Lexy! You didn't join the guys?" Gabriella says as I enter headquarters. She sits on a couch, her feet up on a table, and drinks coffee instead of slaving away behind her laptop.

"Theme parks are not really my thing. Even with the backstage passes you arranged, they are not a guarantee we won't get mobbed. Plus, the guys like these awful rides that have you hanging upside down and the thought is..." I shudder.

"Understandable. I'm not a fan either."

"You look very relaxed."

"Just enjoying the calm before the storm. Also, my new laptop seems to be faster than the old one or the wi-fi is better, so I was done fairly quick a moment ago."

"And still no sign of who smashed the old one?"

"None. Everyone seems to have been watching the proposal at the time. It's unsettling, but I keep telling myself that it all will be over in two more days and then we can return to the safety of our private lives. Did I tell you that my parents are coming to the show tonight?"

"That's lovely! My parents would be horrified to see all of this," I say and Gabriella chuckles. "I look forward to meeting them. How did they receive the engagement news?"

"They are over the moon with the idea. I don't know how or when we'll get married, but we'll make it work. Even if we end up going to a drive-thru," she laughs, but for the first time I see tiredness in her eyes.

"Whatever works, right? I think I'll head back to the hotel to relax. Enjoy your break!"

The venue for today is sandwiched between our hotel and the theme park. We are done traveling by bus and I'm enjoying having a large comfortable room to myself. As I come inside the hotel, I see Alec, Ozzie and Joel waiting for the elevator.

"What you got in there?" I point with my nose towards the box Joel carries. He gives me a wicked smile. "Whatever you are thinking, don't do it."

Ozzie looks at me with curiosity. "What makes you think we'll do anything?"

"I was referring to Joel, but you just said we'll do, so now I know for sure."

"We still need to get back at them for the nonsense interview," Alec says.

"A prank for Erica and Gabriella? Oz, are you sure you want to do this? Don't you fear she'll get pissed and break up with you."

"It's tame, we've done worse to her," he smiles and I hope he's right.