Chapter 10 - O'Malley's

JOEL

While I cook a new plan to make Gabriella quit, I decided that I can also have some fun while embarrassing her in front of the crew. Nothing dangerous this time, but inconvenient enough to make her forget the idea of becoming friends with any of us.

Last week, when we were trying the clothes for the tour, I heard Kitty and Gabriella chatting. Kitty was complimenting her on a new leather jacket and told her she could walk right onto the stage and join the band. Gabriella scoffed and said that she feels uncomfortable being in the spotlight and that's the reason she enjoys working behind the scenes.

"What's your idea?" Gabriella asks.

"O'Malley's," I say and Alec and Lexy give me an approving nod.

"And O'Malley's is?" Gabriella looks around as she asks.

"It's a local pub," Alec says. "It isn't in the center and they know us well there. Specially this one," he grabs Ozzie in a fake chokehold as he laughs.

"We will be soon on the road," I say. "Living in hotel rooms, seeing the world trough the window of a bus. I say we go out and enjoy ourselves while we can. We have been working hard with the tour preparations and I've been dying for a cold beer."

"Is Steven joining?" Gabriella asks.

"Yeah, he usually makes an appearance," Ozzie says. "And even when he's not around this is the kind of place that is safe for us. Only locals who know us."

"Alright, have fun and be safe. I'll see you on Monday."

"Aren't you joining?" Alec asks her and I realize he looks hopeful.

"I still have a lot to do. We haven't sorted out the app thing and things keep changing-"

"Of course, all work. Do you even know how to have fun?" I challenge her. "I'm asking nicely."

Gabriella lets out a deep breath. "Okay... I guess a night out won't hurt."

"I'll text you the address," Lexy, always helpful, says to her. 

"You'll enjoy yourself," Ozzie grins. "They have their own brewery and on Saturday evenings they have-"

"A two for one cocktail special for the ladies," I say. "See you all there."

"Is it a good place?" I hear Gabriella ask Lexy as we walk back to the dressing rooms.

"Yeah, it's fun and gives us the feeling that we are normal people on a night out."

GABRIELLA

Seeing the band so enthusiastic about heading to the pub makes me feel at ease. Lately, anything that Joel says or does makes me feel suspicious. Just to be sure it isn't a dodgy place, I searched for it and found it online. A charming traditional pub and as Ozzie said they have a small brewery on the premises. The smell of beer and battered food welcomes me as I open the door and it makes me smile as it reminds me of the places the bands I managed played at when I started.

Part of the crew stands around high tables while enjoying a well deserved drink and others play pool. I search the crowd and see many familiar faces with the exception of Daan and Ozzie who are nowhere to be seen.

"Hey Gabriella, you made it!" Lexy welcomes me.

"This place is very nice. I see why you guys like coming here."

"A beer? A drink?" Alec asks me as he points at his beer.

"A beer is fine. Thank you!"

Alec calls the attention of the bartender as I take a look around. On the corner, a small platform serves as a stage and two microphones are set up. The television sets mounted on every wall show some sort of sport news show. Alec hands me the beer pint and I take a moment to enjoy the smell. As it hits my tongue I feel myself relaxing.