Chapter 15 - The Date

GABRIELLA

This is probably the tiniest restaurant I've been to. Considering the group of six sitting close to the kitchen area, the place probably serves a maximum of 20 people. A server meets us, and after Daan gives him his name, we are brought to the only obvious choice to sit at since it's the only table available. The man asks us what do we want to drink and Daan requests to give us a minute first.

"I only drink beer. This looks like the kind of place that only has wine," he looks around uncomfortably.

"It can't hurt to ask. Otherwise we can ask for water. I don't drink wine either, although I was ready to check the card and memorize a name to sound knowledgeable."

Daan laughs and visibly relaxes. The server approaches us again and smiles kindly when we ask if the restaurant serves beer, which they do. He sets a basket with bread and I nibble on a slice while checking on the menu. We keep the conversation to light topics until our beers arrive.

"Cheers, to a good tour," I toast.

"To us," he says as he clinks his glass with mine. "And to the band, for helping us to finally go on a date."

"Hear, hear. I'm still surprised that this is happening. We have been so busy. Busier than I've ever been with other bands. If we are not on the move, we are somewhere for an interview, a photo shoot, a charity event, and so much else. And I'm enjoying myself, but tonight feels like a gift."

"It seems they get busier with each tour and you are doing a fantastic job with them. Previously, they would break into these stupid fights over every single thing. You seem to foresee what could cause conflict and minimize it before anything happens."

"I care about them. Even though it is my job, I want them to enjoy what they are doing and get to the end of the tour safe and sound. I know this life is a dream to many, but I also know that it can break your mind and body."

"I understand what you mean. Living on the road, from hotel to hotel, not seeing your family and friends as often as you would like, working non-stop. It's rough."

"I didn't even have a chance to imagine how our first date would go. At least I thought the earliest it could happen was during the first break. It was sort of a shock when they told me I needed to get ready to go on a date with you. The first thing I asked was if you knew," I laugh and he joins me.

"I'm grateful that it's happening earlier than anticipated. Although not everyone seemed happy about the idea."

"Joel?" I assume.

"Joel wasn't exactly excited, but no it wasn't him. Alec has a crush on you," he says in a serious tone while sharing a piece of buttered bread with me.

"I had that suspicion. My kindness and friendliness have been mistaken."

"I guess life has disappointed him when it comes to love or fame. Forgive me dishing the hard truth, but he's never been the most popular member of PoP."

"Why you say that?" 

"Erica can tell you more. She does those sentiment polls and he always comes last. He isn't as good looking as Joel, or as charming as Ozzie, or as easy going as Lexy. He's introverted and almost shy around the fans. At the time of the second tour, this girl suddenly starts stalking him, for lack of a better word. I think he felt special because she only had eyes for him. Then he knocks her off, the media made a circus and he felt guilty for bringing bad press to the band. After the baby was born and she left him, he has kept to himself and avoided getting involved with anyone. You are a good woman Gabriella and you have been very kind to him. It's easy to fall for that when you are starved for love."