Chapter 18 - Beer

JOEL

We all have our favorite shows and memories of them. Tonight was probably one of the best and certainly one to remember. Daan had told us that his hometown was known for enjoying a good show and they didn't disappoint. The fans were loud and fun. A girl in the arena area had an insanely good aim and hit Ozzie in the face with a bottle of water. The pig grabbed the bottle from the floor, opened it and chugged the content. He can be so careless at times and doesn't realize that he can get a bug from someone that way.

It made me happy to see Alec enjoying himself. In the past weeks, a therapist has been having regular calls with him, Lexy and Ozzie. Since I still have the contact details of my previous psychologist, I think going back to him whenever I need is better than starting anew. I did take up Gabriella's offer to see a doctor and was shocked to find out that I'm underweight. I don't think I've had a check up since my early teens. He also strongly advised cutting on smoking which I find the most difficult to do. I've tried quitting in the past and I barely lasted a month.

After taking a quick shower and changing into decent clothes, I get out of my changing room and find Lexy drying her hair. It brings good memories of her after a morning shower at my place.

"What?" She asks me through the mirror reflection.

"Nothing. Any words from the others?"

"They are too tired to go out. I need the distraction, talking to people, having a cold beer. We rocked tonight and deserve it. Gabriella said it's understandable that we want something else besides hotel rooms or the bus."

"Not like we need her permission," I complain and Lexy rolls her eyes.

"She needs to know where we are. We are her responsibility. Daan promised he'll bring us back on time. Have you made any plans for the break?"

Two days to go home... I only need to make sure to stay away from all the places where Anna hangs out. I'm still hurt about the way things ended between us. I'm not a perfect man and I know that I'm shit when it comes to communicating, but I was a good boyfriend for the rest. I've worked hard for this band and that she feels ashamed about what I do is demotivating. She wanted to know if I have a detailed plan about the future. Well, I don't. Mom had a million plans and didn't get the chance to make them true. I try to live every day to the maximum and when I'm not famous anymore and when I'm not getting pleasure from making music I'll think of something else to do.

"Staying away from Anna and sleeping."

"Weirdly enough I understand the feeling. Let's go."

Daan and Patrick wait for us in a taxi and we talk about the show on our way to the café.

"Gabriella should have come with us," Lexy says and I disagree internally with that statement. "She's been working like a dog."

"She wanted a quiet night," Daan says. "Even though Alec is doing better, she wants to be around just in case he needs her. We are here."

That's understandable. When I was at my worst Lexy was my biggest support. Without her I don't think I would have even come out bed. Anna was too busy with her work to even cheer me up.

Lexy shivers since her choice of clothes isn't the warmest and Daan puts his arm around her in a brotherly way to warm her up. Once we enter the café, I feel myself relax when I see the place isn't busy. Lexy and I decide to take place at the bar while Daan makes a round and talks to the people he knows. Each TV set above the bar shows a different sport and I feel at home. We order two beers with the female bartender who looks bored as hell. She places a bowl of salted snacks in front of us and I grab a handful. The show left me really hungry.