Chapter 14

Saturday March 18th

Waking up early, Donny trudges out of his room to find Aria hauling bags out to her truck.

"What do you think you're doing?"

"Going home. I'm dropping out." Not looking him in the face, she grabs another round.

Catching her arm before she got out the door, Donny drags her over to a chair, pushing her in and leaning in like he is about to do good cop bad cop.

"And why, do tell, are you dropping out. Not to mention the fact looking like you're trying to get away before anyone can stop you."

Feeling the tears start to burn her eyes, her voice cracks. "My parents need me. Things are getting worse back home and dad just sounded so worn out. I have to help them. I'm their daughter. What if they get hurt Donny? Huh? It's just better if I leave. I'm sorry, I really am but this has to be done."

Bolting out of her seat, Aria grabs the rest of her bags and tosses them into the back.

"What about Luke? And the competition, scholarship? You're so close Ar, don't throw it away when it's almost in reach."

Struggling with something to say, Aria decides to simply stay silent as she secures the last of her belongings.

"At least do online courses Ar. Finish what classes you're taking now. That way when things work out at home you can do your 4th year some other time."

Sucking her bottom lip into her mouth she says "I'll think about it"

"No" holding her door so she can't close it, Donny leans in "if I can't stop you from going home and leaving me, the clan and Luke, then at least take your classes online. If your gunna bail on the competition then you're not allowed to bail on your education."

Pulling him in for a bone crushing hug, a whispered 'thank you' passes her lips before she pulls back to get into her truck and drive away