Escape From Nellis

Thursday August 3rd, 2278
Doctor Wayne Harrison
Entry #13
Nellis AFB

Dear journal, i miss camping out in The Mojave. Or Vault 4. Anything is better then being a secret prisoner. It's like being around your loving family, but with a gunman pressing a pistol into your back. It's horrible. I've been in this horrible mess for almost a month.

I guess there are some good things about this place. The Boomers are quite friendly, apart from Reggie. They have some decent food. They keep me up to work here and pay me in caps for it all. I work at Nellis Hangar crafting weapons with some other Boomers.

We craft Grenade Launchers, RPGs, Proximity Mines, and a lot more. I even helped design a special ammo round. It's a .50 Caliber bullet that when fired, catches on fire and explodes on impact. A direct combination of an incineration bullet and an explosive bullet. I hope to test them out in the field soon.

Reggie is near me everywhere we go, besides at my quarters when I sleep. He told Pearl that I was a scientist who has decided to help out around Nellis. Of course, had to follow his lead. I've been prisoner for almost a full month. A silent prisoner.

It's hell. But I did notice something in my last journal entry. Reggie had said that there were radios around the edge of the base to prevent me from escaping. If they fail, he had a backup plan. The remote detonator he carried in his pocket.

The only time Reggie wouldn't be with me is at night. The only problem with that? Reggie's quarters are directly next to mine. If he heard one slight creak in the porch outside our quarters, he'd be up in a flash. But when there's a will, there's a way.

I have a plan. Around noon tomorrow, I could walk around and find the radios on the edge of the base and disable them. I could track the radio signals from a terminal in my quarters. Once I have the locations, i disable them while Reggie is distracted. Later that day, at night, I sneak in Reggie's quarters and deal with him.

After that, I tell The Boomers what had happened and get the hell out of here. A good plan. The chances of me blowing myself up while attempting to disable a radio are not so high. My main concern is the risk I'm taking on handling Reggie. He has the detonator.

The only other object that could trigger the end of my life. I guess it's that or die here. I wasn't gonna let some slimy smiling little weasel kill me. I'm ending this.

Doctor Harrison out.

Friday August 4th, 2278
Doctor Wayne Harrison
Entry #14
Mojave Desert

Dear journal, I believe I've made a name for myself in the world of escaping. I was working in the hangar today helping around as usual and I looked out the corner of my eye to see Reggie using a blowtorch on an old airplane. I looked around and saw no one else was there. Perfect. I had something else in mind with the plan.

This may be the only perfect opportunity I have to take him out. I came up behind Reggie and slammed his head off the side of the plane. He grunted and fell over as the blowtorch's flame stopped as it hit the floor. Before Reggie could get up. I grabbed his 357. Magnum from his holster.

As he got up he reached in his pocket and pulled out the remote detonator. He stood on his feet staring me down as I was aiming the pistol right at his head.

"Doctor Harrison, don't be stupid about this. I could end your life right now and say it was an accident with an explosive device.".
He didn't seem to think this all through.
"And I could kill you and make it look like a suicide."
He smirked. "Clever, but you're forgetting one thing"
He stepped closer. "I could kill us both. It wouldn't matter then, now would it?"
I stepped closer to him and lowered the pistol. "You're forgetting something about me Reg. I'm not afraid to die. Do it, but if you're gonna be smart about it, make MINE look like a suicide"
I gave him the pistol as he smirked comfortably. "Looks like you're gonna enjoy this huh?".

Just as he was about to put the detonator in his pocket, I slammed the front of my head into his face and swapped the gun and detonator out of his hands. He fell onto his back and scrambled around for the gun. I acted fast and grabbed a modified bobby pin and from my pocket I made myself. It had thin tiny wires from a Sensor Module wrapped in the sides. If i insert it into the right slot, I could defuse the Bomb Anklet and even get it off my leg. I slid it down into the slot and moved it around.

As I did this, Reggie was running over to the Remote Detonator on the floor. He groaned as he grabbed it and pressed the button as he shouted "BURN!". Just as he pressed the button, he heard 5 rapid beeps. When he looked down by his feet to see an unlocked bomb anklet, his only response was his eyes widening. Before he could scream, Reggie had become a dismembered torso following a blast.

He was dead for sure. I looked down at the bits and pieces what remained of the man and said "I knew you were bluffing by the way". I then wrote a message and put it on the table where I also put my bandages from around my leg. It was for Pearl and The Boomers. I then packed up my things after disarming the radios around Nellis and left the base and walked out in The Desert.

I was free again, but not too free.

Doctor Harrison out.